Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind Californian earthquakes. This is far more serious.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2014/04/17/hagee-bloo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't these idiots just leave us out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

If the similar predictions he made in 2008 are any indication, I think you guys are probably safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
whac3 wrote:

If the similar predictions he made in 2008 are any indication, I think you guys are probably safe.

Yeah, I'm sure. It's more "Why are these nutcases all obsessed with us?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure. It'sore "Why are these nutcases obsessed with us?"

Dispensationalism and the fact that Left Behind proved it could sell books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

Blood Moons?

Dear God, California is going to turn into a mountain!

Stock up on goblins and lightning bolts now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood moon, Bloody morons more like.

A question for SCIENTISTS!, is this the first blood moon we have eve had (A chance to peddle your lies and misinformation SCIENTISTS!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

A question for SCIENTISTS!, is this the first blood moon we have eve had (A chance to peddle your lies and misinformation SCIENTISTS!).

I've never heard the term after doing astronomy at different levels for some 40 years. All lunar eclipses are red. This one is interesting because it's one of a series of 4 total lunar eclipses with no intervening partial eclipses,, but as far as I can tell, this 'blood moon' stuff is made up by crazy cult members or fans of Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I've never heard the term after doing astronomy at different levels for some 40 years. All lunar eclipses are red. This one is interesting because it's one of a series of 4 total lunar eclipses with no intervening partial eclipses,, but as far as I can tell, this 'blood moon' stuff is made up by crazy cult members or fans of Game of Thrones.
So what is the difference between a blood moon and a red one...Yes I know what the answer is, but I would like to see if I am right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
aiabx wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So what is the difference between a blood moon and a red one...Yes I know what the answer is, but I would like to see if I am right.

I took a look in my copy of the 2014 Observers Handbook (Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - the international astronomical go-to reference) to see what they had to say about Blood Moons. To the surprise of no one, the term appears nowhere in the extensive discussion of this cycle of lunar eclipses. It is not a scientific term. As far as I can tell, it was first used by American Christian Apocalypse cultists back in 2008 to describe signs of the upcoming end of the world.
It seems to be leaking into the common vernacular as part of an eclipse tetrad (4 total lunar eclipses with no intervening partial eclipses) but these happen often enough that they make a lousy harbinger of doom, in part because we've been able to predict them accurately for centuries. You might as well predict the end of the world by portentous positioning of clock hands.
As for red moons, total eclipses are always reddish or brownish, owing to light passing through the atmosphere of the earth and being bent towards the hidden moon. It's like the moon is being illuminated by a full-planet sunset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

whac3 wrote:
jonb wrote:

Are you unfamiliar with televangelist John Hagee?

Not only is televangelist Hagee an ardent Christian Zionist but is also one of the most revered of the rightwing fundamentalist-Christian extremists of the Republican Party.

Although Hagee's End-Times scenario doesn't conform to the predominant Dominionist theology version, Israel is not less as daunting a focus for the Dominionists' End-Times scenario as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.