Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious... if there is a grubber that is trying to cross a Glacier's Grip straight through the middle, would he move two spaces or one?

The grubber has a move of 3, and the Glacier's Grip states (correct me if I'm wrong) that movement is doubled moving through a square affected by Glacier's Grip.

So, if the grubber is standing just outside the radius (2 spaces away from the center), moves into one, then tries to move into the center, can he make it in one turn? Ex: 2MP to enter one, then 2MP to move into the second. I've been denying the second move because he doesn't have enough left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
"Covers a 3x3 area in ice. Double MP cost and -2TN for Hero
ranged attacks on targets caught."

The way I read it, Glacier's Grip only affects the targets when it is initially cast because of the wording "Targets caught", therefore the Grubber on the outside could enter unaffected.

Simply my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read it just like logris did, since you can keep it as an Ongoing effect. Since it's basically a sheet of ice you are maintaining on the tile, anyone moving into that area will be affected and subject to the MV penalty and the -2TN to ranged attacks made against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Eh, I missed that it was ongoing.

It is unclear if it affects MP if you are moving into an effected hex or to move out of an effected hex.

The latter does seem to make the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Asderiphel wrote:
I read it just like logris did, since you can keep it as an Ongoing effect. Since it's basically a sheet of ice you are maintaining on the tile, anyone moving into that area will be affected and subject to the MV penalty and the -2TN to ranged attacks made against them.

This
The target is the 3x3 section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... that didn't clear things up any, but I appreciate the thoughts. I think I'm still going to play it as applying the move cost going in.

Any thoughts on the grubber having 1MP left, trying to go into a 2MP cost square? I'm thinking no, with a caveat that all minis should be able to move a minimum of 1 square during activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
logris wrote:
Well... that didn't clear things up any, but I appreciate the thoughts. I think I'm still going to play it as applying the move cost going in.

Any thoughts on the grubber having 1MP left, trying to go into a 2MP cost square? I'm thinking no, with a caveat that all minis should be able to move a minimum of 1 square during activation.

Ha, sorry. I played it the same way you are currently: if any figure only has 1MP remaining and is attempting to move into a square that costs 2MP, that figure cannot make the move.

I'm not sure about the caveat since there may be other effects that reduce MP.

To formalize how I play it:

I view the MP as a resource and every time a move happens, you spend X MP and move X squares. If there is an effect on a square that increases MP expenditure, that penalty is applied before a move can occur. With Glacier's Grip specifically, it brings the cost of entering a square to 2MP instead of 1MP. The Grubber from your example would be able to move 1 square but be unable to move further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree, if you need 2 MP and only have 1 remaining, you cant move.

My question: Do you need 2 MP to move into a frozen square or 2 MP to move out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me most games have you pay the cost of the area you want to move into.

Super Dungeon Explore has rough terrain, and you pay your move cost as you enter, not leave.

Descent has higher move cost when you entering water.

It's viable either way you want to play as long as you are consistent. I just choose to pay as you enter because that's what I'm familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
logris wrote:
Seems to me most games have you pay the cost of the area you want to move into.

Super Dungeon Explore has rough terrain, and you pay your move cost as you enter, not leave.

Descent has higher move cost when you entering water.

It's viable either way you want to play as long as you are consistent. I just choose to pay as you enter because that's what I'm familiar with.

Actually, by that logic a monster caught on the edge would be able to move out without penalty, so im pretty sure now it is double MP to move out of a frozen square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.