Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After watching a few 3 player games which featured an overabundance of black land cards early on, and thus difficulties in jumpstarting production, I wonder if it would be better to force the black/white/black/white alternation of land card sides to go through the whole game rather than resetting each round.

So if in round 1 of era 1, there are 2 black land cards and 1 white land card, round 2 would have (by rule) 2 white land cards and 1 black one. Continuing as such throughout, maybe starting again randomly at the beginning of each era.

Thoughts? Or was this just a reflection of the players' inexperience and it should be reasonable to play a game with 2/3 of the cards being black?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the players you were watching misunderstood the rule. (Which is totally understandable)

It actually does work the way you laid out. If there are 2 Black Tiles in one Round, the next Round will have only 1 Black Tile. Alternating appropriately every Round.

I can imagine it would be a frustrating experience to play it that other way and not have the proper Goods to pay for the Maintenance of your Heroes and Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If so, my fault. I taught them the rules.

But I do not see how you get that from either the posted .94 version of the rules or from Capoeirista's helpful rewrite. In the section for "Arrange an Auction", the rules state: "Draw a Land Card and pace it faced up." It does not specify the side until discussing the next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules are very unclear on many things. The new rules are much, much clearer.

In the old rules, the only way one would figure that out is by looking at the example graphic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't even get that from the example image. To me it's just showing the two possible outcomes, not implying any link between them.

I would agree, however, that it would make a lot of sense to enforce in a 3p game (it's not important in 4p). Might be a slight pain to keep track of, maybe a spare piece from a copy of Othello would come in handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.