Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how this expansion might effect solo play. Would it be possible to play this solo? I can see some value to it, but not too much. Bounties would work only for wanted crew appearing on supply planets, I suppose. But what about piracy?

Edit: After a bit of pondering, I'm guessing there will be some interesting variants that could be developed, if there are no solo play rules included. We will have to see once the rules are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bounties would be doable as written since you can grab the targets out of the discard pile (or hire them).

Wouldn't be hard to create an NPC target ship for pirates.

SS Target:
Place a Firefly on Bellerophon. Assign crew by drawing from each supply deck and hiring the first crew to come up from each. Choose a leader randomly among the unused leader cards. Place two parts, two fuel, two cargo, and two contraband on the target ship's card. Whenever a card moving the Reaver Cutter or Alliance Cruiser comes up move the Target ship one sector directly away from the player's ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not every expansion needs to cater for solo play.

This expansion is heavily about player vs player, a feature lacking in the original game. As such, I am quite content even if this is useless for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I agree on (almost) all of your points, and I am happy to see some PvP elements. But since solo play is a feature of this game (and not a catering issue, IMO), I was hoping for a more positive perspective. Thanks for letting me down. However, I do not see this as useless for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
...Place a Firefly on Bellerophon. Assign crew by drawing from each supply deck and hiring the first crew to come up from each. Choose a leader randomly among the unused leader cards. Place two parts, two fuel, two cargo, and two contraband on the target ship's card. Whenever a card moving the Reaver Cutter or Alliance Cruiser comes up move the Target ship one sector directly away from the player's ship.

Nice idea. I look forward to testing it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although it looks like this expansion will be of limited use in Solo play, there are always pretty easy ways to deal with it.

As Selenite notes, add a random Firefly (or two!). I've experimented once or twice with getting all the ships on the board, assigning them random captains and supplies. Since this expansion was out, I the other ships served primarily as random trading opportunities, but I could see something like that working well here.

I could also see a situation where there are ships placed randomly, and if you draw alongside one, you either draw from a custom deck or roll on a chart or something to generate what the ship is carrying and how well equipped the Crew is.

Bounties might be a little harder to incorporate on other Crews (unless you pull a few of the Wanted Crew out of the deck and randomly allocate them), but there are probably ways...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to play solo games, but I try to read solo players' posts to ascertain how they deal with 2+ player games. Sometimes they just play as if they were two people (comments on the Battlelore pages). In co-operative games (like Zombicide) they play more than one playing piece - teaming up with themselves (at least they won't argue over the best strategy). They basically try to do their best against (or with) their opponent.

As I don't play like that, I don't know how useful that idea is for people. In a game like Firefly, winning sometimes doesn't seem to be the only objective - some people don't bother with the objective of the story card, they just play on to earn more money or build the best ship possible, so it might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer who played more complicated games a long time ago, I got into the habit of initial solo play with a new game to learn the game faster, so I could teach it more easily to others! This led to playing solo when I couldn't find any opponents available.

In the miniatures field, there is actually a solo war gamers group in England. Some people prefer to play alone--as you say, there are fewer arguments. They even have a newsletter to share ideas. But to me, there's something inherently funny about a group newsletter for playing solo!

I'd think the easiest way to play PBH solo would involve Jubal Early, as he works alone anyhow. (I trust everyone gets that this Black man is named for a Confederate general, which is a hint to his various dysfuntions i think, although there were Black men who fought for the CSA...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.