Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What makes a squad tournament viable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Browsing the forums, I often come across replies that mention that some squads are more viable in tournaments than others. How could a middling player like me figure out tournament viability? To help answer the question, here are 2 squads that I enjoy flying. X-Wing gurus - please pick them to pieces to help me understand viability in tournament play.

Bounty Hunter, gunner, seismic charges
Howl, Swarm Tactics
BSP, DTF
2x APs

"Turret Madness"
Lando, PTL, Nien Nunb, Falcon title
Dutch, Ion Cannon Turret
GSP, ICT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first test is whether the list can reliably beat the most common lists you are likely to encounter in a tournament.

Can your lists beat all three of these?
- XXBB (either Bloody Daggers or Biggs Walks the Dogs, preferably both)
- Double Falcon (Lando and Chewie, upgrades to taste)
- 7 TIE Swarm (Howlrunner, minor variations with the others)

If you don't have at least an even up chance against the most popular lists, your list isn't viable because you already know you'll be facing things you can't handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
another big list that has done well recently is 3 shuttle with a small helper, the 5 ship rebel list has become a thing to recon with.

test your list, keep testing it, fine tune it. play different opponents, play one of the other lists against your own list, find the weakness and get rid of it.
play what you are comfortable with, don't fly ships you are uncomfortable with, know your dial, know your opponents dial, predict the best place for your opponent to end up and plan for it to happen.
know the upgrades your opponent has, what would you do with them? what has been done with it before? how can you turn their strength into a weakness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.