BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend iPad games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rush Trader
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I travel a lot, and my iPad travels with me to help me kill time in airports, waiting for meetings, etc. I have Ticket To Ride, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, San Juan and Catan loaded as well as a web bookmark for Dominion online (wish they would release an iPad version).

I also have most of the classics: Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble, etc.

Can anyone recommend any other good board or card games that have successfully made the jump to iPad?

Thanks,
RT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mincey
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Le Havre is a good one to get. Duels of the Plainswalkers if you like Magic the Gathering. I've got Eclipse on my iPad but I haven't played it yet so I don't know how the app is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Small World this week for my iPad and enjoying it much while traveling with my son. It has a solo - mode and various ftf / online - modes.

I also have Kingdom Builder (like that too), Dominant Species and Tikal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Eclipse and Tigris and Euphrates are both well done for the iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Stone Age, Rosenkoenig, Qwirkle, BattleLine, Backgammon, Lost Cities (and a number of other Knizia games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Spak

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of them out there, but in addition to those already named, I would particularly recommend:

Hacienda
Lords of Waterdeep
Through the Desert
Ascension
Stone Age

(Someone has to have made a geeklist of all of them, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I play most often is Summoner Wars. Great conversion of the game.

Pandemic is also quite good.

I own Lords of Waterdeep, but I've only played it a couple of times. It looks really good though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67659/ios-versions-of-boar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I enjoy on my iPad:

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
Warhammer Quest
Lords of Waterdeep
Quarriors!
San Juan
Pandemic
Eclipse
Suburbia
Forbidden Island
Alien Frontiers
Can't Stop
Carcassonne
Small World 2
Ticket to Ride
Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Goldberg
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of solo-play in the Agricola app.

Also, ut's not a boardgame persay, but my other favorite iPad game right now is FTL. I nearly missed a flight last week because I was so engrossed in that game. Can't speak highly enough of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
jminsi wrote:
Le Havre is a good one to get.

Yes, I'm addicted to Le Havre recently. Slowly upping the AI and number of players and so far so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories, Lords of Waterdeep, and Agricola are all very nice implementations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rush Trader
United States
New York
flag msg tools
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Wow - that helps a lot!

Thank you everyone. Did not realize Pandemic was available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Suburbia is fun! Takes all the accounting away from the actual physical game and distilled it in a fine 20min game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a board game, but FTL is a great mashup of board game, roguelike, and RTS mechanics. Definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rushtrader wrote:
I travel a lot, and my iPad travels with me to help me kill time in airports, waiting for meetings, etc. I have Ticket To Ride, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, San Juan and Catan loaded as well as a web bookmark for Dominion online (wish they would release an iPad version).

I also have most of the classics: Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble, etc.

Can anyone recommend any other good board or card games that have successfully made the jump to iPad?

Thanks,
RT

I'm on a plane 4 times a month and feel your pain. Here are my most frequently played iPad games in order of most played:

Ascension: it's fast, easy, and if you grab a few expansions, it can provide an enjoyable amount of depth

Battle Line: again, fast and easy, but offers tons of tough decision. Gorgeous design on the iPad.

Haggis: every bit as addicting as a game such as Tichu or even Hearts. The computer is a bit too easy, but it is still an exceptionally well implemented ios game.

Yomi: obviously this just released so it can't be one of my most played, but I've played the computer version a ton and this is a great port. This could easily take the crown as most played.

Neuroshima Hex: this game not only made me an addict of playing board games on my iPad, but it encouraged me to buy the physical edition as well.

Games I own and play, but don't play regularly, ordered from personal favorite to least.

Pandemic: Good but often too long

Magic 2013/2014: after playing Ascension, the speed of play in this game feels SLOW

Hearthstone: you have to be connected to the internet, which is often difficult on the road or in a plane

Bang!: again, the speed of play here seems to take FOREVER, and since there's no human players, the hidden role mechanic doesn't add to the experience

San Juan: personal prefernce I enjoy race for the galaxy more, which leaves this one feeling a bit dull

Lords of Waterdeep: too long to be good on the road

Nightfall: not a huge fan of the game, but good ios implementation

Fluxx: this is a game where I realized having human opponents and table talk is what makes it fun

I do not own some notable games such as:
Agricola
Le Havre
Tigris and Euphrates
etc...

The reason being is that when I'm on business travel, I'm often burnt out. I don't want a brain burner on my 1.5 hour flight back home. I want something quick and easy, but still provides enough depth that I'm challenged. For example, UNO isn't going to cut it.

I hope this helps. Best of luck. I say go with Battle Line and Haggis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearthstone just made the jump to IOS. It's like a simpler version of Magic the Gathering and fairly easy to pick up all the while being free. Not really a conversion of board game to IOS, but close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, i've found the best ipad games are not boardgames. The 2 i keep coming back to are plague inc and ftl. Frozen synapse and spacechem are also fvorites. All 4 of those games should appeal to boardgamers, as they play in a short time and are very replayable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob 199
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Yomi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Agricola is on sale for $4 for the next few days. It might be enough for me to give it a try (never played the game at all.)

Also, a shout out for Medici which is a fun auction game that you can play in 12-15 minutes. The app is very simple, but the gameplay is what matters here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be board or card games? Because there are quite a few good games outside of those categories. Here are a few I really like from every type:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Warhammer Quest
Hearthstone
Faster Than Light
Space Hulk
Republique
Oceanhorn
Lords of Waterdeep
Star Wars KotOR
Shadowrun
Bastion
Lili
Lost Wind series
Deus Ex: The Fall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Lords of Waterdeep myself. Also a lot of the other Playdek games are currently on sale too (Summoner Wars base game is free) so if you're interested now is a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations:

Neuroshima Hex
Battleline
Ingenious
Qin
Tigris & Euphrates
Samurai
Khet
Carcassone
Eclipse
Summoner Wars
Ascension
Suburbia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola just dropped to $1.29 or something in the Aussie iStore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexi Monkeybin
msg tools
You can try BoardRush and Friends or Match!. I play both games especially the latter. It's more like 2048 but the goal is to reach the final or top card and it's pretty hard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.