Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The flavor of Netrunner is always a lot of fun, and I like the strong theme behind HB's bioroid ice: Mythological and literary figures. Can anyone help me out with the ones that I don't get?

Eli 1.0- Depicts a child. Is this pulling from a sci-fi novel?
Hudson 1.0- I'm drawing total blanks here.
Ichi 1.0 & 2.0- That sounds japanese, but I'm unsure of the reference.
Viktor 1.0 & 2.0- No idea.

I'd like to think there's some reference, even if my list of unknowns are sizable, I think there's enough flavor at work with their other ice that hints at a theme. I doubt these are just random names, cherry picked from a hat.

Of course, maybe they are, and I'm overthinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Ichi is a reference to Ichi the Killer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed that Hudson 1.0 was a wink towards Aliens. "That's it, man. Game over, man! Game over!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed Hudson 1.0 was a reference to Hudson Hawk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hudson is definitely an Aliens reference, the flavour text makes that clear.

I agree Ichi is probably a reference to the Manga or the film based on it but there's nothing concrete to back that up.

Googling 'Viktor' brings up a lot of stuff about a League of Legends character and not much else - I've never played it so I don't know if this could be the inspiration?

Eli is a biblical figure but the Wikipedia page for him doesn't include anything that would obviously connect to the card so I'm pretty much at a loss there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never noticed Hudson's flavor text, that's great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Szczeciński
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the Hudson reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrjFuTbl_SA&t=3m18s

Viktor may be reference to the Tom Wood trilogy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunter-1-Victor-Assassin/dp/07515453...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for totally clearing up Hudson and Ichi, amigos.

Eli's flavor text is about breaking the rules and making the creator angry, so either biblical, or based off another sci-fi android?

Viktor makes me think of war games with the flavor text (Shall we play a game?) But there are clearly no name similarities there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since HB has a Norse myth, because they consulted this book:
Teutonic Mythology
Gods and Goddesses of the Northland

By Viktor Rydberg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Windrim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Old Testament, Eli was cursed by God: his family line would last eternally, but its boy children would never reach old age. Eternal Child Eli 1.0 seems to make sense.

Hudson looks like a space marine, feel that's a nice spot.

Ichi is likely Ichi the Killer, but consider also that 'Ichi' is 'one' in Japanese...1.0 thus has trace-1 = 1 brain damage and 1 tag, etc.

Viktor has that quote from WarGames, but I've never been able to work out why - or why his 2.0 form is a magic security guard in Monitor Heaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
finalultros wrote:
In the Old Testament, Eli was cursed by God: his family line would last eternally, but its boy children would never reach old age. Eternal Child Eli 1.0 seems to make sense.

Hudson looks like a space marine, feel that's a nice spot.

Ichi is likely Ichi the Killer, but consider also that 'Ichi' is 'one' in Japanese...1.0 thus has trace-1 = 1 brain damage and 1 tag, etc.

Viktor has that quote from WarGames, but I've never been able to work out why - or why his 2.0 form is a magic security guard in Monitor Heaven.

Could Vikto just be a pun on his playing games--as in, "he's the victor"? 2.0 would then represent graduating to more sophisticated games (hence, tracing and power counters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.