Subject: Has Council of the Sith finally worn out its welcome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Today I decided to give my decks a good looking over.

When it comes to Sith, I've pretty much played every competitive variation of

x2 Council
x2 Vader
x2 Emperor

with or without x2 Executor Arrives.

Now with the release of the last 2 force packs, I feel as though the staple Sith decks may not be as viable as they once were. Its looking more and more dangerous for Sith (or any DS deck) to have 4-6 cards in hand on your opponents turn. With that being said, has Council of the Sith worn out its welcome?

x2 Vader
x2 Emperor
x2 Executor
x2 New Mara Jade
x2 Jerec

has got me wondering if Sith can take an offensive (competitive) role. It seems like the cards from these objectives would compliment each other nicely and allow for some serious offensive possibilities.

Of course I'm just thinking out loud here, and would definitely like some feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been playing with council of the sith in forever. I'm like the 1 person at my store that loves Heart of the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... am I weird for having run, Council 2, Vader 2, Emperor 2, Serve the Emperor 2, and Ghosts 2?

It's not the Sith deck I'm using currently, but it seemed rather beefy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Wait... am I weird for having run, Council 2, Vader 2, Emperor 2, Serve the Emperor 2, and Ghosts 2?

It's not the Sith deck I'm using currently, but it seemed rather beefy.

Everyone' local meta is different, so if your winning with this deck you're not weird.

2x Ghosts might give you a lot of dead cards against vehicle decks though, and the Anzati Elite in Serve the Emperor is very fragile and expensive if you don't have the Royal Guards out. On the other hand, I hope you're winning the force struggle every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Council is still highly relevant. With Mara and Jarec sporting resources, that aspect of the set becomes a little less necessary, but Dark Precognition is still a great way to cycle your deck and trigger Vader. But mostly I'd still run it for the Twist of Fate, unless you have plans to get Twists from elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
I had a very similar thought. Won't get the chance to actually test the deck until next week, but I'm leaning toward keeping Jerec over Counsel. It leaves you without any Twists, but I think there should be enough cards with 3+ Force icons that you'll just be able to overwhelm the opponent in any crucial edge battle. Jerec stays in for the resources and because Force Storm is just a total blowout waiting to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counsel is probably still my top Sith objective set. Having resource generation, card draw AND a twist all in one package is just something you can't find anywhere else in the game presently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ostler
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is exactly the deck I was thinking about putting together. I think this is a very different version of sith control than we are used to. This is less about holding back on defense, winning every edge battle and drowning your opponent in focus tokens. This deck wins by outright killing any characters on the board and absolutely dominating the force struggle. Vader and Mara are the main units with targeted strike and direct damage. These keep your opponent's board in check. 4 force chokes and aggression fuel the damage. Executor and the ISBs can help, but only if you get the resources. There are a lot of resources, and the holocrons are a key player here, allowing you to get your big hitters out without tapping out all your resources. Now that we have 4 protectors, vader and mara are even harder to get rid of.

The key elements, as I see it, are:
2x Fall of the Jedi - Vader and force choke are the keys to this deck.
2x Emperor's web - More for the force choke and guards. Palpy can play a
role too, but is less important
2x Executor arrive - Holocron, agression and cheap defenders
2x Mara's set (too new to remember the name) - Mara, guards

The fifth pod is up for discussion a bit. Jerec gives a reset that favors the sith, and two resource units. Council gives card draw, which may be a mixed benefit with new smugglers sets. I also really like the dark trooper set, with the tech lab and cheap defenders. I am going to play with Jerec for now and see how that goes.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Higley
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I still use Counsel of the Sith. I just posted this deck to another thread, but here it is:

Affiliation: Imperial Navy
2x Fall of the Jedi
1x Counsel of the Sith
2x The Emperor's Web
2x Serve the Emperor
1x The Ghosts of the Dark Side
2x The Dark Trooper Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.