Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Union-Made take on what vehicles to buy.

http://www.uaw.org/cars

Unfortunately, while Toyota has done a lot to build plants in this country, they do it where anti-union culture is prevalent.

Which is tough for me. Toyota has better designs and technology, particularly with hybrids, but operates in a sphere of anti-unionism which makes it harder for me to support.

So I split the difference and drive a VW. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two Kraft plants in my area. One is union and the other is non-union. The employees at the non-union plant make more than the employees at the union plant. Unions are the last organizations I'd go to for purchasing advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

Unfortunately, while Toyota has done a lot to build plants in this country, they do it where anti-union culture is prevalent.

Good on them. I don't care enough to let it dictate what sort of car I drive (I have a Nissan and my wife has a Subaru) but I'm all for supporting anti-union companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Democrats and Republicans agree that protectionism is good which is how you know it's bad.

Free trade is good. Protectionism is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:

1. Minivan: Honda Odyssey

Not only is the Honda (NYSE:HMC) Odyssey one of the best choices for buyers in the minivan segment, it’s also one of the most American-blooded too, with 75 percent of its parts coming from North America. The entire Honda minivan is assembled on American soil, down to the engine; the transmission is sourced from Mexico.

Doing my part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Democrats and Republicans agree that protectionism is good which is how you know it's bad.

By that logic the military must be the worst thing ever, because both love it so much they throw money at it like they can't control themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I help the US by having two cars that were assembled in Hiroshima.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

By that logic the military must be the worst thing ever, because both love it so much they throw money at it like they can't control themselves.

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
utoption2 wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:

Gotta "protect" those jobs, Jarred. Shortsighted thinking, of course.

Shifts in comparative advantage can leave you worse off in absolute terms than you were before. If the firms overseas enjoy unfair advantages in terms of tax breaks, subsidies and violation of intellectual property rights I think it's probably fair to look at some policies to counter this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

1. Minivan: Honda Odyssey

Not only is the Honda (NYSE:HMC) Odyssey one of the best choices for buyers in the minivan segment, it’s also one of the most American-blooded too, with 75 percent of its parts coming from North America. The entire Honda minivan is assembled on American soil, down to the engine; the transmission is sourced from Mexico.

Doing my part!

Do you like it? I'm torn between that and the Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Here's the Union-Made take on what vehicles to buy.

http://www.uaw.org/cars

Which is tough for me. Toyota has better designs and technology, particularly with hybrids, but operates in a sphere of anti-unionism which makes it harder for me to support.

So I split the difference and drive a VW. *shrug*

Well, maybe some day you will get your wish, unions will spread to all 50 states, and nobody will build cars here anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Doing my part!

It is actually pretty awesome...well for a mini van. But it is kind of pricey. Our last car was a CRV, but the 4 cylinder gave it no power at all, but the Odyssey has a nice get up and go V6.

It's gadget overload. If we are ever hit by a EMP this thing is toast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see a list for which ones are engineered here.

My company does do the application engineering here for the electronic brake systems for several of these, but base development is German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We skipped the vacuum option. Just couldn't justify spending 2 extra G's for a built in hand vac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Doing my part!

It is actually pretty awesome...well for a mini van. But it is kind of pricey. Our last car was a CRV, but the 4 cylinder gave it no power at all, but the Odyssey has a nice get up and go V6.

It's gadget overload. If we are ever hit by a EMP this thing is toast.

This is one of the things I'm not excited about. I want to drive the wheels off the minivan when we get one, but more electronics=more problems=higher cost and less ability to tinker on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:

This is one of the things I'm not excited about. I want to drive the wheels off the minivan when we get one, but more electronics=more problems=higher cost and less ability to tinker on my own.

I think you are fairly S.O.L in today's minivan market. It's all about the conveniences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:

I think you are fairly S.O.L in today's minivan market. It's all about the conveniences.

Our odyssey is pretty bare bones. It is a 2010 I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.