Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admittedly say I have only played 4 times but found an interesting situation arise during my two player games.

Around the mid way point both players have there economic engine well and truly on course.

The rules state that players may hold up to ten tokens in there possession.
Situations arise that players can hold 4 green tokens(the whole allowance in a two player game)and pay green costs solely with there development card bonuses. This is a viable strategy and is open to all players to pursue, so I understand it's a balanced option for all.

When I taught my young boy the game I played with a rule that we primarily payed tokens to the central bank and only used the development card bonuses when no tokens were in our possession to use.

Over all it didn't change the game too much but kept the tokens available for all to get access to when needed.
The hoarding token strategy, whilst legitimate, just seemed mean spirited to me.

Anyone else feel the same?

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

A problem with your variant, is that if I go the the trouble of building a green engine, why should I give up my green tokens? I think the rules as stated, require players to watch out what others are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spagetti69 wrote:
Situations arise that players can hold 4 green tokens (the whole allowance in a two player game) and pay green costs solely with there development card bonuses. This is a viable strategy.

But is it a good strategy?

It means that the player spent 3-4 actions to acquire 4 Emerald tokens that he doesn't need. Wouldn't that mean that he or she may be playing sub-optimally giving some advantage to opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a good house rule for the OP's situation which is gaming with his child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Spagetti69 wrote:
Situations arise that players can hold 4 green tokens (the whole allowance in a two player game) and pay green costs solely with there development card bonuses. This is a viable strategy.

But is it a good strategy?

It means that the player spent 3-4 actions to acquire 4 Emerald tokens that he doesn't need. Wouldn't that mean that he or she may be playing sub-optimally giving some advantage to opponents?

You are probably correct in most cases, however the market in splendor is a constantly evolving one and you may find you have tokens in your cache because your primary target card was taken leaving you with tokens unable to spend that turn.

I've since played this at a gaming day with a more competitive crowd and the hoarding wasn't a problem and was encouraged.

Maybe just a friendlier variant to be used with a certain crowd. Kids maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
I think it is a good house rule for the OP's situation which is gaming with his child.

Yes agreed on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my 10-year old last night, and there were certainly times when she wanted me to spend those emeralds I had built up.

But it didn't drive her to frustration, and I'm sure that there could have been adult players who would have felt the same way. The final score was 16-14 (I won), so it wasn't like she didn't figure out how to compensate.

For that session at least, I didn't feel like I was hoarding the emeralds. I ended up holding them because some other plan went awry (she took a card I wanted). And I found that, if you have 3 emerald cards and 2 emerald tokens (or whatever it was), you will eventually find a level-3 card that lets you spend your "hoarded" tokens.

Requiring token play might tend to keep those level-3 cards out of reach longer and end up extending the game's length. Or it may increase the importance of nobles (which do not require tokens) versus level-3 cards.

Just pointing those out, because either might make the game less fun for some kids. Some kids might prefer a shorter game. Emphasizing the nobles, which aren't replenished when taken, might increase the disappointment when someone else gets them.

Just a few thoughts ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.