Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the site's been updated with details on piracy jobs and some new upgrades and it all looks pretty cool and interesting.

Never thought about the possibility of stealing fuel and parts! That could really ruin someone's day... or you know, a few turns. Especially if the Reapers find a dry ship.

That also means the piracy jobs are more viable as you won't necessarily be holding onto them, just waiting for a big cargo/contraband score.

And I'm noticing more emphasis on boosting salvage ops. Gets people carrying more goods, thus making themselves an attractive target, but also makes the salvage ops a little more attractive/helpful to those who have been robbed. A nice bit of subtle game design influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some nice stuff here, although not a ton of surprises. Based only on 2 cards, we have confirmation about most of Piracy (except Showdowns), although it raises a few tangential questions:

1) Will contacts have multiple different Piracy jobs, or will it be copies of the same job? Not a major issue, but I'm curious.

2) How many Piracy jobs will each contact have? THAT is a pretty big factor. We're shuffling these jobs into a pile of 30, so 1-in-31 is very different from 1-in-7 when it comes to trying to pull these Jobs. How easy they are to pull will be pivotal to how Piracy impacts the game.

3) How many new Supply cards will there be? We now know of at least 4 -- 2 Ship Upgrades and 2 Lawmen (Bourne and Dobson). It's worth noting that both new Ship Upgrades are functional outside Piracy. Will there only be 1-2 new Supplies per planet, or will it be something like 5? Will there be gear/crew/etc that impact bounty hunting?

As a related point, the more new Supplies we get, the harder it is to get existing resources (eg, Pilots, Mechanics, Cry Babies).

4) What's the deal with Lawmen? Bourne himself is rather elegantly designed, but the question remains, does the Lawman keyword do anything (which would presumably impact Bounty Hunting more than Piracy)?

5) Showdowns? Fight vs Fight? Fight vs Defender's Choice? Choice vs Choice?

6) What does Sash do? Based on the Walden, I would bet cashy money he has +$300 or $500 on Salvage Ops, possibly paired with the ability to sell Fuel or Fuel/Parts.

Good stuff. Looking forward to the next two previews. And, of course, the release itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there will be enough of them to make the draw odds good.

I like the concept of the subjective job - gives more weight to leaders being moral/immoral.

One interesting aspect is that if someone rejects a Piracy job it is in the discard pile and it will be public knowledge who takes it. It is going to make game play kind of paranoid.

Shiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
I'm sure there will be enough of them to make the draw odds good.

I'm inclined to agree. My guess is 5 per contact, for 30 piracy jobs (putting it in the same range as some of the other types of jobs), although it will be interesting that they'll likely be distributed evenly across all contacts, unlike anything else we've seen.

Joelist wrote:
One interesting aspect is that if someone rejects a Piracy job it is in the discard pile and it will be public knowledge who takes it. It is going to make game play kind of paranoid.

Indeed. It's possible that the spoiler/random factor will have a bigger impact on the game than the jobs themselves. Under the right circumstances, you could knock the leader back a few rounds.

Although this just makes me want to do Crime more, but with more fuel than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I'm curious to find out: is piracy only an option when you have a piracy job? If my contra get seized by the Alliance, it would be nice to have the opportunity to steal it from another ship. The preview indicates that such probably isn't allowed, though.

As for the other contacts' piracy jobs, it wouldn't surprise me if Niska's job let you kill a deafening crew member on top of taking their goods. Amnon Duul may not let you take contra. Not sure what would distinguish patience as the middle-of-the-road contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It would seem that you need a Job, based on the way it's been explained so far.

Hard to tell how the contacts will differ. Assuming there are consistent names, the other contacts seem to have Jobs called (or at least beginning with) "Contract Jumping" (Amnon Duul), "Herd Rustlin'" (Patience), and "A Message" (Niska). All Jobs except Harken's seem to be Illegal.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of variety in the jobs. Between Badger and Harken, the differences are 1) number of Goods taken, 2) whether you can attack a Rival or just an Outlaw Rival, and 3) whether you get a Warrant or not. The last two elements seem to be related to legal/illegal, which doesn't leave too much.

My guess is that the Jobs may be almost identical, with only the number of Goods varying. Perhaps:

Amnon Duul = 4 Goods
Patience = 5
Badger = 6
Niska = 7

EDIT: Just went back to the official site and noticed this sentence: "Each Contact specializes in a particular brand of Piracy, targeting rivals under different circumstances."

So Badger can target any Rival, and Harken can only target Outlaw Rivals. The others? Perhaps one can target only NON-Outlaw Rivals? (Maybe the full title for the Niska Job is "A Message for the Alliance" or something?) Or maybe those carrying a certain type of Goods (eg, Contraband or Cargo)?

I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:

Don´t know, but this might be an interesting variant for this: when you consider jobs from the discard pile, you could do it secretly. That would require, however, that all players are only allowed to go through contact discard piles, when they are at the respective contact location (to avoid that jobs taken by rival captains can be determined by deduction at any given time in the game).

On the other hand, knowing that someone else has a piracy job on his hand could act as a very nice deterrent for rival captains, too ("let´s give that Firefly over there a wide wake, they have that piracy job from Badger on their hand").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would like to know is who decides which of the attacker's crew members dies from a failed Showdown. Would be interesting if the defender gets to, but the choice usually rests with the Leader.

To spice things up, I hope there are piracy jobs that allow you to steal gear or, more likely, ship upgrades as seen on the nav card.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some sort of aid for finding piracy jobs, sort of like a Cortex Uplink but along the lines of 'Use a Deal Action to reveal and discard Jobs from a Contact's deck until a Piracy Job is found. Take or discard this and end the action.'

And the same could go for Lawmen, giving them some sort of power over the bounties. 'Reveal a bounty from the deck and replace a current one, shuffling that back into the deck' or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It will almost certainly be the person whose crew has the death who determines who is killed, based on everything else in the game.

Based on the way the article is written, it seems like you'll only be able to take Goods, but maybe in the future... Also, maybe Sash. We also see here some of the value of Walden's Salvage Scow ability. Kitted out right, even against a Rival where you're only taking fuel, you can land a big score.

It would seem that this expansion is making Piracy/Salvage a viable alternative to Crime, which gives me some hope for legal jobs and Smuggling in the future.

A "sift until you find" mechanic would surprise me because it would introduce such a potent mechanic to the game. Picking up a discarded job seems more likely to me. Honestly, I'd love something that lets you steal Botched jobs -- that would let you turn the tables on a failed attacker!

It will be interesting to see what Lawmen can do. The ability to shake up the wanted list would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
Joelist wrote:

Don´t know, but this might be an interesting variant for this: when you consider jobs from the discard pile, you could do it secretly. That would require, however, that all players are only allowed to go through contact discard piles, when they are at the respective contact location (to avoid that jobs taken by rival captains can be determined by deduction at any given time in the game).

On the other hand, knowing that someone else has a piracy job on his hand could act as a very nice deterrent for rival captains, too ("let´s give that Firefly over there a wide wake, they have that piracy job from Badger on their hand").

My point was not that any sort of variant is needed here. I like the notion that play gets a bit paranoid as players become nervous when too close to other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Unlike those of us who came up with our own more complex boarding rules--mine were never play tested--the designers simply made it a job type. This is interesting, as it takes away the option for a player to go totally pirate on his opponents time after time, I'd think. Simpler is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is a stepping stone? I can see an application for Boarding and Showdowns outside of these jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite possible! Or perhaps there will be specialized leaders, who can only do one thing, or just do it better. For example, if Jubal Early appears as a Leader/Captain card and his very specialized ship, would you want to do anything else with him but Bounty Hunt? How about a Leader (Sash?) who can only do Piracy? There would have to be some modification to allow more jobs to have that component, or let him just go Pirate on others all the time.

whistle Of course, we're not playing the whole game yet. Or to put it another way, we're not playing with a full deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.