Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Updated 4/18/2014]
This is part 1 of H.T.F.N.P. (Helpful Tips For New Players) a (possible) series of posts geared toward helping new ANR players get into the game, learn more, and understand more about the game. In this part, we're going to look at the different subtypes and "sub-subtypes" of ICE.

Note: I do not cover subtypes or sub-subtypes that are not exclusive to ICE (ie: Psi, Advertisement, etc.)

ICE subtypes:

"Barrier"
Example: Wraparound
Barrier's almost always have an "End the Run" subroutine or a way to add "End the Run" subroutines to them (usually by advancing them). Barrier's are probably the easiest to break.

"Code Gate"
Example: Enigma
Code Gates may or may not End the Run, and often "tax" the runner, causing them to spend clicks or credits that they otherwise wouldn't spend. Some Code Gates give other pieces of ICE additional subroutines or additional abilities. Code gates are in the middle, not too hard to break, but not the easiest.

"Sentry"
Example: Rototurret
Sentry ICE is often easy to get through, but if the Runner doesn't break the subroutines they will suffer for it. Sentry ICE may or may not End the Run. Breaking subroutines on Sentry ICE is often the most expensive.

"Mythic"
Example: Chimera
At the time this post was written, there is only 1 piece of Mythic ICE in the game, the above Chimera. It's unclear if Mythic ICE does something specific with ICE or if it's just another subtype.

"Trap"
Example: Whirlpool
Trap ICE is usually cheap to rez. It's subroutines are usually meant to catch the runner off-guard. Currently, there is no specific Icebrekaer for the "Trap" subtype, so a specialized breaker is needed in order to break subroutines on them.

ICE sub-subtypes:
(These subtypes will come in addition to one of the afforementioned ICE subtypes)

"Destroyer"
Example: Grim
Destroyer's have a subroutine(s) that trash programs.

"Illicit"
Example: Fenris
Illicit ICE requires you to take a Bad Publicity when you rez it.

"AP"
Example: Neural Katana
AP ICE does damage to the runner (Net Damage, Meat Damage, or Brain Damage).

"Deflector"
Example: Cell Portal
Deflector ICE changes the position of the Runner during a run, moving them in front of another piece of ICE.

"Tracer"
Example: Hunter
Tracer ICE has subroutines that initiate traces.

"Observer"
Example: Data Raven
Observer ICE usually gives (or attempts to give) the runner tags, although there are exceptions, like Data Hound.

"Bioroid"
Example: Viktor 1.0
Bioroid ICE is exclusive to Haas-Bioroid. Bioroid ICE often has powerful, or expensive to break subroutines, but allows the runner to spend clicks to break them.

"NEXT"
Example: NEXT Bronze
There is only one piece of NEXT ICE at the moment, the above NEXT Bronze. It's unclear whether or not future NEXT ICE will have similar abilities or not.

"Grail"
Example: Lancelot
(No image, click the link to see)
Grail ICE is a very interesting, and potentially very scary type of ICE.

--------------------

If I have made any mistake, please let me know, I want this to be as accurate as possible (to a reasonable extent).

In the next installment of H.T.F.N.P. I will look at the different subtypes and "sub-subtypes" of Icebreakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to say. Sentries are often EASY to get through, as most don't end the run. However, sentries are often difficult to get through unscathed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Code gates are not taxing by definition, just look at Quandry. I don't think that's a good definition.

You might want to make yourself more familiar with the cards/game. Even well-intentioned errors can confuse more than help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
Two corrections: AP Ice can also deal Brain Damage to the Runner and Data Hound is an Observer that gives no tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tberton wrote:
Two corrections: AP Ice can also deal Brain Damage to the Runner and Data Hound is an Observer that gives no tags.

Flare is an AP ICE that will do meat damage as well. I think the AP designation is damage-type agnostic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
tberton wrote:

Meat damage, too: Flare is AP. Edit: ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Code gates are actually the least taxing ice generally.

Sentries are usually the easiest to get through (though you might suffer for it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrections:
AP Ice is sometimes Brain Damage.
Bioroid Ice lets the runner spend click(s) to break, which is different to bypass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bioroid ice doesn't allow the runner to use clicks to bypass subroutines. It allows the runner to break subroutines. A simple, but important distinction. Bypassing is something that happens to the entire piece of ice, not its subroutines, i.e. it is all or nothing. I can use a single click on a Viktor 1.0 to break the "end the run" and then let the brain damage sub happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My summary of the ice types would be

Barrier: ends runs. Cheap icebreakers
Code Gate: ends runs or helps other ice end runs, may impose some other tax. Medium expense icebreakers
Sentry: may or may not end run, but usually does something else horrible to the runner. Most expensive icebreakers

Trap: typically is not a barrier/code gate/sentry, thus requiring a specialized breaker to avoid.

I don't think I would try to "explain" many of the other types of ICE to a new player, either the keyword is obvious (Tracer) or meaningless (Observer, Mythic) or isn't consistent (Bioroid) or doesn't really tell the beginner anything important that they can't glean from reading the card in question (Illicit, Deflector, Psi). I might make an exception to call out AP and Destroyer for budding Shaper players since they have key cards that interact directly with those subtypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
NEXT ICE's strength is increased for each piece of rezzed NEXT ICE. At the moment, there is only one piece of NEXT ICE, the above "NEXT Bronze."

I think it's too early to say how NEXT ice behaves. We could see NEXT ice which gains subroutines for each piece of of rezzed NEXT ice, or which tutors for NEXT ice, or which has "-> The runner cannot break subroutines on NEXT ice for the remainder of this run". I'll be really disappointed if all the NEXT ice turns out to just be NEXT Bronze, but with the numbers changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its fair to say that a number of Code Gates are taxing. But going back to (one of) his previous posts, "taxing" is to general of a term. All ICE taxes, but all things considered, I would say the following are pretty taxing at times (and yes I know Yog.0 can break some of these, but you always have to A) be playing Yog (not every deck does) and B) find and pay to install it).

Tollbooth
Viper
Yagura
Viktor 1&2
Datapike
Enigma
Hourglass
Pop-up Window

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I'll update the OP to be more accurate.

Just a note though, being that I am a new player myself, something I didn't completely understand coming into the game, that I wanted to understand was all the less-significant subtypes like Illicit, Tracer, Observer, etc. That's why I included them.

I should clarify, when I say "Code Gates tax the runner," I don't mean that Code Gates are "taxing ICE." A good number (maybe even the majority) of Code Gates (Enigma, Tollbooth, Datapike, Hourglass, Ireress, Pop-Up Window, Viper, etc.) will make the runner spend either clicks or credits that they otherwise wouldn't spend. Which may or may not be the definition of "taxing ice," but we can get into that in a different thread. (Actually, we already have...)

[UPDATED]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
"Mythic"
At the time this post was written, there is only 1 piece of Mythic ICE in the game, the above Chimera. Mythic ICE appears to be characterized by taking on the subtype "sentry, code gate, or barrier" when it is rezzed.

It always boggled me that anyone would think that Mythic had anything to do with Chimera's ability. Excalibur is/will be Mythic and does not change its type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
"Mythic"
At the time this post was written, there is only 1 piece of Mythic ICE in the game, the above Chimera. Mythic ICE appears to be characterized by taking on the subtype "sentry, code gate, or barrier" when it is rezzed.

It always boggled me that anyone would think that Mythic had anything to do with Chimera's ability. Excalibur is/will be Mythic and does not change its type.

Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All those apostrophes, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
All those apostrophes, though.

eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a nitpick. "barrier's" and "destroyer's"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Is "This is what NEXT ice does" really the most important first thing to teach new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fake name
msg tools
For Sentries (27 as of now) -

-All Sentries have 1 or more of the subtypes Tracer (some or all subroutines have traces), Destroyer (trashes programs), AP (deals Brain, Net or Meat damage).

-The most common subroutines are tagging, trashing programs, doing net damage and doing brain damage.

-Subroutines that do something other than trashing programs, brain or net damage, end the run, or giving the corp credits require a trace.

-Brain damage subroutines can be clicked through, except for Fenris (and usually Janus, because you won't have enough clicks).

-Only Archer, Fenris, Tsurugi and Rototurret have a hard End the Run subroutine. Muckraker has an ETR if the runner is tagged, Uroboros, Flare, Draco and Caduceus have traces to ETR. (so 9/27 Sentries can potentially end a run)

-The highest strength sentries are Janus at 8, and Archer, Flare and Snoop at 6. Draco can be set to any strength when rezzed, and Shadow can be advanced to increase its strength.

-The highest Sentry traces are Flare at 6, and Sherlock and Uroboros at 4.

-Some NBN sentries have on-encounter effects; none of these have a direct cost to the runner (Data Raven gives a tag if you don't jack out, Snoop looks at your hand, Matrix Analyzer can advance a card).

-If you have Deus X (breaks AP ice), Sharpshooter (breaks Destroyer ice), and enough credits to beat traces, the only things a Sentry can do are the NBN on-encounter effects, Shadow giving the corp 2 credits, and Muckraker ending the run if you're tagged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.