5 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kunming emergency supply source rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Martin
France
flag msg tools
In the case pictured here under, is it correct that all allied units but the 15th are insupply if the Hump is active but cannot be activated by the SEAC HQ (Because there isn't an activation path)?

(Can be enlarged by clicking on it)

(I'm not sure about 12.75 "This supply path can be used to activate a unit assuming an activation path also exists.")

If Japanese unit in 2005 enters 1905 and declares a battle hex there, is it correct that an activation path now exists between the SEAC HQ and every allied unit showed on picture?
Is it correct that it would also be the case if Kunming wasn't available as an emergency supply source (No hump) because supply and activation could now "flow" through 1905?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LDPDC wrote:
In the case pictured here under, is it correct that all allied units but the 15th are insupply if the Hump is active but cannot be activated by the SEAC HQ (Because there isn't an activation path)?

(Can be enlarged by clicking on it)

(I'm not sure about 12.75 "This supply path can be used to activate a unit assuming an activation path also exists.")

If Japanese unit in 2005 enters 1905 and declares a battle hex there, is it correct that an activation path now exists between the SEAC HQ and every allied unit showed on picture?
Is it correct that it would also be the case if Kunming wasn't available as an emergency supply source (No hump) because supply and activation could now "flow" through 1905?

Thanks in advance!

An interesting situation Paul…

As the picture is small I believe you are saying that the CW 15th Corps in Dacca is NOT in supply. I do not believe that is true if the following is true. Assuming that SEAC can trace overland to Madras and then uninterrupted to a map edge the SEAC HQ is in supply and an overland supply is not interrupted by the JP AZOI in Akyab.

Now as Dacca has a Northern India airbase in it, with an active HUMP, Kunming is a supply source. So all of the Chinese units are in supply. Now as far as activation goes due to the lack of Allied airpower SEAC has to trace overland, but the JP have all overland paths blocked. So, while the Chinese are in supply and will not suffer attrition they cannot be activated at this time.

The last piece I believe you are asking is if the JP unit in Dimasur advances into Dacca, does this open up an activation path to the Chinese. The answer is yes it does, so I would not advise making the move this way but activating one of the Akyab units or backfilling the JP army in Dimasur when it advances.

As far as the rationale goes the activation range is an indication of the command boundaries so if an HQ has any access beyond a porous front line it can activate units whereas supply LOCs are more restrictive. When the JP unit in Dimasur is at rest it is holding the hex, but when it advances it narrows its front leaving a gap. This is all an abstraction to show that unless you have a continuous front it was easy to move around this area as the Chindits did. Activation paths are supposed to be hard to block. From a practical point of view the JP have large Chinese forces in their rear area, so are vulnerable unless the JP protect their LOCs. Supply lines cut both ways and what you are attempting is and should be dangerous, but totally avoidable if you use units out of Akyab for the attack. Have fun,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One day we'll get Mark to click on the images so he can see them in large detail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
One day we'll get Mark to click on the images so he can see them in large detail

Why didn't anyone tell me this, it works great. Thanks,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martin
France
flag msg tools
MarkHerman wrote:

Why didn't anyone tell me this, it works great. Thanks,
Mark

I wrote it just under the picture

Thanks a lot for your answers! I'm sorry my first sentence was unclear (about the 15th Corps): I meant that he was the only unit in supply without help of the hump.

In fact this was a semi-theorical situation, which need a 3OC play (but no luck) to happen. Due to reaction possibilities I finally did first an amphibious assault to Colombo with the wounded Kaiyo group permanently rebased there. This helped put the SEAC HQ out of supply with the help of the Shokaku during the offensive which took Akyab. After the taking of Akyab, the SEAC was maintained out of supply by the Air unit in Akyab.
Idea behing this move was that by turn 7 the US player had 1 PW left with interservice rivalry and could have strongly reinforced SEAC by turn 8 and made progress there + deployed a B29 unit in china, had he reopened the Burma road. I hoped to put him under pressure in India and this was possible because of the play of RA Matami Ugaki, which allowed to destroy the whole British Fleet in Dacca with a raid from Leyte/Samar.
The game ended on the other side of the map on the same turn when an US Marines division was destroyed by a reacting Japanese division on Bougainville.

The more I play this game the more I enjoy it! The only problem I'm left with is the time needed to play. I usually play 2 hours a week and we still have a rate of one turn every two hours, much slower than expected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.