France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Just a couple of quick questions about cards

1. Assist cards how are they chosen for purchase ? ...I assume you pick up the stack look through and buy the one you want is this correct no suggestion in the rules ?

2. Pass cards :

Is there any reason why they can't be left in a stack rather than spread them out to save space ?

Is a brown dot a way point for travel and fees and not a city per se so if I travel from one city to the next via two brown spots it would cost me two dollars ?

It would have been nice to have had a movement example diagram in the rules I think a pic paints a thousand words and all that !!

Any chance of a printable version of the map to help us non US citizens find locations easier for payday markers ?

Looking forward to playing now I have my copy and this last rules questions are answered

Many thanks

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Is there a railpass for every link? For example, we had someone in O'Brien and they could not find a rail pass for those links.

Also, the copy we were playing with had a Santa Fe card that did not seem to go in any stack and another one with a very small route, maybe three stops, but the card count suggested it did not go in the grey stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peisistratous wrote:
Is a brown dot a way point for travel and fees and not a city per se ...

grandslam wrote:
Is there a railpass for every link? For example, we had someone in O'Brien and they could not find a rail pass for those links.
What I see is that every brown dot is a named city, and the rules indicate paying fees for "each city dot traveled". Also, the only locations that allow you to collect a Rail Pass are the ones that display a raiload company logo for the city. That's about the city, not about the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peisistratous wrote:
2. Pass cards :

Is there any reason why they can't be left in a stack rather than spread them out to save space ?
The rule is stated,

Spread all the Rail Passes on the table organized by Border Color, face up.

Maybe you interpret a conflict about "spread out" but I'd say "organized by Border Color" does not preclude stacks. Afterall, I understand it merely to be about being able to easily locate any card when it gets collected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Braunstein
United States
Woodland Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a conversation with the designer about your first question as I had the same thought. He told me that you could buy whichever one you wanted but can only get one of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Are you saying that you can only collect the railpass for the city you are in at the time you collect the pass?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Are you saying that you can only collect the railpass for the city you are in at the time you collect the pass?
Well, let's look at the rules (my highlight):

RAIL PASS ACQUISITION:
After completing movement (or choosing not to do so) and paying fees, the active player may acquire one Rail Pass. Place a chip over the logo on the city and acquire the corresponding card. The chip lets other players know that that particular Pass is no longer available.

I'll readily say that's another example of why I criticized the rules as being weakly written in another thread. When I look at the overall game however, I cannot imagine that anything else was intended other than collecting to match where you land. Why else travel at all? Why else travel less than the maximum? Doing it for Payday alone is not a game I find sensible. Nor is grabbing any card you desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ziemba
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
grandslam wrote:
Well, let's look at the rules (my highlight):

RAIL PASS ACQUISITION:
After completing movement (or choosing not to do so) and paying fees, the active player may acquire one Rail Pass. Place a chip over the logo on the city and acquire the corresponding card. The chip lets other players know that that particular Pass is no longer available.

I'll readily say that's another example of why I criticized the rules as being weakly written in another thread. When I look at the overall game however, I cannot imagine that anything else was intended other than collecting to match where you land. Why else travel at all? Why else travel less than the maximum? Doing it for Payday alone is not a game I find sensible. Nor is grabbing any card you desire.

You are right on how weak the rules are. On our first turn, part of the group thought that you had to land on the city to get the pass, part thought you only had to be on a line specified on the pass, the others got the rules which didn't have either of these requirements. Needless to say we had a pretty poor game. How can someone create a game with such a beautiful map board and historical accuracy for all the rail lines and then create such a horrible rule book? Would it be that hard to put in some examples. Or a better question, how much did they play test this by having people actually read the rules instead of teaching them how to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbskull Games has posted a short FAQ on their website. Here it is pasted below:

Quote:
Q. How far can I move per turn?

A. After the first round limit, up to four cities per turn, five with an Express.

Q. If I buy an express on my first turn, and the player before me moved 1 city, that would appear to enable me to move 2+1 cities. Then would the player after me get to move 4 cities even though he/she does not have an express?

A. No, the first round limit is not to be exceeded.

Q. When I buy 2 express cards, can I then travel 6 towns?

A. No. Limit of 1 of each helper card to each player.

Q. Can I pick up any Railpass when I am done moving.

A. No you can only pick up the Railpass that has the same logo as the one you land on on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peisistratous wrote:
...so if I travel from one city to the next via two brown spots it would cost me two dollars ?

It would cost you $3, as you've gone through 2 cities (those brown dots) before reaching your 3rd one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.