Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to go on a trip w/ some family. I wouldn't classify them as "gamers" per se, but they've been around me long enough to have played a fair number of games and generally enjoy them - even if they wouldn't do such things in my absence. True love

I'm looking for a game that meets the following criteria (in order of importance):

1) Must be readily available

2) Must play well w/ 2 and 4 (I'm indifferent on all other player counts)

3) Play time in the 45-90 minute range. Put another way, something w/ a little meat but not prone to going over long.

4) Prefer something that doesn't have a lot of table sprawl. There will be a table but likely not a serious gaming caliber table.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could list down some of the games they have enjoyed so far. Best is to bring the games they have played before so you dont need to teach the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, Settlers of Catan, Ra, Thebes, Modern Art are some examples of games they've played and enjoyed. That's probably the general weight range I'm looking for as well.

We're looking for something new. I'm not as concerned about teaching. I'm not trying to sell the hobby and we have time to learn something new and give it several reps to let it breathe a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Suburbia. Though with 4 it does take up a bit of space.

People will probably recommend Tichu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tricky McGee wrote:
I'm getting ready to go on a trip w/ some family. I wouldn't classify them as "gamers" per se, but they've been around me long enough to have played a fair number of games and generally enjoy them - even if they wouldn't do such things in my absence. True love

I'm looking for a game that meets the following criteria (in order of importance):

1) Must be readily available

2) Must play well w/ 2 and 4 (I'm indifferent on all other player counts)

3) Play time in the 45-90 minute range. Put another way, something w/ a little meat but not prone to going over long.

4) Prefer something that doesn't have a lot of table sprawl. There will be a table but likely not a serious gaming caliber table.

Thanks in advance for your input!
When I travel like this, I just bring a few decks of standard playing cards and possibly a small domino set. There are some very decent and easy to learn games that most people don't know with these, and if you should happen to lose them, they're easy to replace.

We Greeks play a Canasta variant called Biriba that everyone in my family just loves. You can find the rules anywhere, it's basically just a very large rummy-style melding game, and it keeps people entertained for hours.

Pete (would recommend a Pinochle deck and possibly two identical decks of cards for Canasta)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been gaming very long I admit, but whenever I'm introducing someone to a new one I usually start with a coop. Pandemic for myself, although something like Forbidden Desert has a smaller footprint.

I've found people are more open to trying something new if we're a team, rather than competing. Some people have concerns about understanding all the rules quickly enough and then playing their turn the "right way" so they would rather avoid that altogether. But with a coop that isn't an issue and after enjoying one "modern" board game it becomes easier to introduce them to others.

Although in your case this might not be an issue as they have played other games previously. Still a coop game can provide a different experience from a competitive game, so having it as a option could open up more opportunities to game (depending on the moods of the night).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion - Good with all numbers, doesn't need much table space.

Quantum - A space 4x game in dice form! Very easy to learn though. Works well at all numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guildhall, Airships, and Quiddler all play 2 and 4, are all in stock at Cool Stuff today, have a small footprint - cards or a little board, and are easily explained to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.