Subject: How expensive is this compared to 40K? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Graff
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
I've been looking into a decently priced wargame for a while now, and I am pretty interested in this, however, there's only one thing preventing me from pulling the trigger; Price. I got stuck with the misfortune of picking IG and I am getting tired of putting in $30 for another unit of cannon fodder (I can barely put in 750 points).

So, will I get what little of my money's worth from this, or should I look elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be honest, that's impossible to answer right now, since the Kickstarter has still not shipped (it's approaching 1 full year late), and so it's also not out to retail at all. Until we know the retail pricing, there's no real way to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still very early, but I personally don't think there are many games that cost you the Games Workshop amount.
Especially when you have to buy a unit of whatever and require X amount of units and they are vulnerable to being removed by a single blast marker (with apoc rules)

Warmachine is the closest competitor I think to Warhammer and that doesn't cost you anywhere as near as enough as long as you strategically pick your purchases instead of buying the whole range.

So for your answer, Relic Knights would be notably cheaper as the game is skirmish level instead of large army sized, since you won't need anywhere near as many figures.
How much cheaper exactly will require the game released to retail to be able to compare.

EDIT: just because a game uses lots of figures doesn't mean it is better with depth, strategy or fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McIlhargey
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say if you stay with one faction, you'd stay under 300 easy. A good start is :
$50 Battle box
$50 Relic Knight (the knights with a big robot of some kind)
$50 2x minion sets.

After this, you may get a unique or two, and some more minions, and it'll be all you need for most everything. You'll have all you need for a single faction for less than 500.

I got, ocd . . . spent 1200 on ebay for unwanted kickstarter pledges, and I have enough points in all 6 factions for the largest size game of 100 pts/2knights. Expect tonnes of pics here before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Hendrix
Netherlands
Geleen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game as on the expensive side, look at the current models in online stores and compared them to other miniature games and even PP seems cheaper for what you get.
I pledged for Black diamond and for example the Diamond back is sold for 38 euro at one of the cheapest online shops in europe and still more expansive for a warjack kit ( with 3 configurations). The single model plastic figures are overpriced too, if you look at a single infinity model for example and this game, then infinity is about one third cheaper.
I am going to play this game with what I pledged, but have no intention to expand my army due to cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.