Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I flipped through the PDF version of the manual, but was unable to determine how much variety there was with the upgrade cards in the game.

I like the idea of purchaseable variable player powers slowly evolving each faction into something distinct, but am unsure how variable these options will be from game to game.

Is this one of those games where option C or D might never be seen due to the insane variety (e.g. buildings in Lords of Waterdeep, recruitment cards in Lewis and Clark, tile options in Suburbia), or is this the kind of game where you know option C or D will always come up, and can work that into an early game strategy.

I like both, but am unsure where Quantum fits in.

p.s. For clarity, I know there are two decks of cards to choose from (Gambits and the other one). My inquiry is for both decks, but my primary interest are in the cards you slot into your character sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 22 gambit cards of 6 types. Some come in 2 copies, some in 4, even 8. Not that much variety in there, but once you play the game you will understand why. It needs to bring some predictability and ad-hoc things that are needed.

There are 31 unique command cards, 1 copy of each of 31 types.

I'd say the game is somewhere in the middle. There is no "insane" variety but also you cannot assume that everything will come up eventually. There's a good choice of cards and they will iterate thorough the game - it's your job to make a good combo out of available cards. Because of different cards, you will be somewhat forced to think of different combos every time, which is either good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. The predictability is somewhat better with gambit cards, because they repeat and there's less of them. There, basing on the variance, you can make some assumptions and some cards will most probably show up. For commands cards, the more players, the more cards will be visible, as players put more cubes onto map and reveal more cards. For 2 players, you will see 6-8 commands and 3-5 gambit cards (on average), I don't remember the numbers for 3-4 players, but I guess you can multiply it by 2 for 3 players and by 2.5 - 3 for 4 players. With more players, you will see more cards, so the opportunity to create your favorite combo is bigger. But, you have other players to compete with for the cards, so the situation is a complex puzzle - chances are, they will snatch some of your combo pieces and, one way or another, you're forced to improvise and work with what's available.

It's great game for what it is. It doesn't try to be a heavy game, but the amount of decision, influence on the game and action "puzzles" to solve is staggering. Every play, I have a great time. If you like the click system of Android:Netrunner, you will appreciate the freedom in taking actions in Quantum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.