Zombicide: Toxic City Mall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discarding ultrared weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm trying out ultrared mode for the first time, and I'm a little unsure about the rule that says a survivor can discard an ultrared weapon at any time and gain 5 XP.

If you've already reached the red level, I can't imagine you'd want to give up an ultrared weapon. And if you haven't yet reached the red level, why would you want to discard an ultrared weapon to get you to the red level that much faster? (I presume you can discard an ultrared weapon from your hand and elect NOT to take the 5XP? Or is that not the case?)

The only reason I can think of is because some other survivor has already caused the game to shift zombie spawning into the red zone, and you want to get there as well (as quickly as possible) so you, too, can make use of ultrared weapons.

Is that basically it? Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played where we have found three ultra-red weapons before we left blue. This clogs up our hands, so discarding them not only hurried the game along, but also left a space free for our survivors to fill with things they could use earlier in a game that might not even have got to red.

Of course, with the rule that you can stash weapons in some of the cars, that makes discarding less of an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i concur with peter, keeping red-level weapons early on will mostly hamper you so you might as well discard them for the xp.
dpending the zombie spawns and mission, the road to red level can be sometimes slow, at least for some survivors who are not getting as much kills as the rest of the team, so boosting their xp this way helps.
also, in ultrared mode, you can reach red multiple times so even while at red you might already have your favorite weapon combo so discarding that next redweapon to help you reach the next red level is still a viable option.

i guess you could discard a redweapon and choose not to get the xp in case you dont want the spawn level to go up, though that is not strictly clear in the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Yes, not at all clear. Well, I'm still at a level of play where I'm not wanting to rush the level up so maybe I'm not exactly ready for the big time! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amit Arnon
Israel
Tel-Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, you might have weapons that you like better and actually not want that specific ultrared weapon.
Second of all, you forgot you can get extra skills in ultrared mode. Sometimes they can be very important for that specific turn. Maybe so much that you'd want to throw an ultra-red just so you can get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.