Subject: Confused Regarding Hoards Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
So - clarification regards "Hoards" would be welcome. In the original rules, it is my understanding that when a tile is cleared - each type of Hoard has the same mechanic i.e. roll a Fate Die for each surviving Hero and consult respective Hoard table for rewards.

Now the F.A.Q. on Hoards has this:

"When setting up a Realm Tile with a gold hoard or treasure hoard, the hoard token is placed in a purple highlighted area. Heroes must perform a non-combat action while adjacent to a hoard in order to roll for the reward. After receiving the reward, the hoard token is discarded."

This appears to be a radical departure from the original rules -as the last line states: "After receiving the reward, the hoard token is discarded." Since the "reward" here is singular (not multiple rewards) and a Hero must perform a non-combat action to roll for the reward - this rule very much leads VERY CLEARLY to a hero going to a hoard token, rolling, and then the Hoard token is removed. All the other Heroes then are SOL.

Is this actually what is intended? And if not, why is it worded this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These guys just don't know how to write rules, so give it the benefit of the doubt. They're trying to give it some element of interaction. As written, there's no way you could consider it a hoard. 1 GP and 1 potion? I think not.

What they mean (and the way you should play it) is that after all heroes receive their reward, remove the token. Or you can just go back to the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for citing the text directly - but let's read it more carefully.

From the FAQ, adding some bold text:
Quote:
Heroes must perform a non-combat action while adjacent to a hoard in order to roll for the reward. After receiving the reward, the hoard token is discarded.

Maybe I'm being too lenient, but that plural "HEROES" makes it clear IMO that the hoard remains until all the heroes have performed their non-combat action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
miflhanc wrote:
Thanks for citing the text directly - but let's read it more carefully.

From the FAQ, adding some bold text:
Quote:
Heroes must perform a non-combat action while adjacent to a hoard in order to roll for the reward. After receiving the reward, the hoard token is discarded.

Maybe I'm being too lenient, but that plural "HEROES" makes it clear IMO that the hoard remains until all the heroes have performed their non-combat action.

As written it means that after the first hero discards the token after receiving the reward. The fact that hero is plural in the previous sentence actually doesn't mean anything. It's probably the intention to play it as each hero gets a chance to search it, but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Go with the original rules and roll 1 FD per hero and get the reward per hero.

All the faq is stating is that the hoard should be physically present on the tile.

But honestly, i still think that you should, after clearing the tile, roll for the hoard then move all of your heroes to the edge of the next tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
As written, there's no way you could consider it a hoard. 1 GP and 1 potion? I think not.

It is not 1GP.
The original rules show a 5 coin. And you get anywhere from 3-7 of these. (the number in the grey circle) The FAQ is saying you get 3-7 of the #1 coin not the 5. So you get 3-7 gold. Not 15-35 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
The faq is saying that the Nature reward is 1 gold, 1 potion, and a green treasure draw, instead of 5 gold, 1 potion, and "treasure draw".

You still roll for every hero as per original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jetewabbie wrote:
logris wrote:
As written, there's no way you could consider it a hoard. 1 GP and 1 potion? I think not.

It is not 1GP.
The original rules show a 5 coin. And you get anywhere from 3-7 of these. (the number in the grey circle) The FAQ is saying you get 3-7 of the #1 coin not the 5. So you get 3-7 gold. Not 15-35 gold.

Exactly my point. Thank you. =)

I was trying to say you should not discard the hoard token after the first hero gets the reward of 1 gold coin and 1 something else. That would not be a hoard. Alternatively, the first hero to search the hoard could collect the treasure for all the heroes collectively, I suppose. Then you'd get 3-7 and some goodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
The faq is saying that the Nature reward is 1 gold, 1 potion, and a green treasure draw, instead of 5 gold, 1 potion, and "treasure draw".

The FAQ clarifies that you get a green treasure draw. It does not say you get 1 gold and 1 potion instead of the listed 5 gold, 1 potion.

I agree and would follow the original rules that you roll one FD for every living hero.

One way I read the rules and FAQ combined is that there is only one successful non-combat roll needed by the "heroes." Then you roll all the fate dice together at once (1 per hero) to determine the pool of rewards; distribute them as you wish. If each hero needs to make a roll to get a reward for themselves then that contradicts the wording in the rulebook that the total rolled results reward the party, rather than each separate hero per roll.

Personally, I don't understand why they added in the FAQ the requirement for a non-combat roll without saying that each hero only had one chance at a roll. The tile is cleared, heroes can keep spending MPs and cycles to roll a success. If there is treasure in the chest the heroes are going to spend as much time as needed to crack it open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ does specify that the coins are meant to be multiples of single coins and not five. It may be in the errata section at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Sylvicolus wrote:
Deadwolf wrote:

The FAQ clarifies that you get a green treasure draw. It does not say you get 1 gold and 1 potion instead of the listed 5 gold, 1 potion.

I agree and would follow the original rules that you roll one FD for every living hero.

One way I read the rules and FAQ combined is that there is only one successful non-combat roll needed by the "heroes." Then you roll all the fate dice together at once (1 per hero) to determine the pool of rewards; distribute them as you wish. If each hero needs to make a roll to get a reward for themselves then that contradicts the wording in the rulebook that the total rolled results reward the party, rather than each separate hero per roll.

Personally, I don't understand why they added in the FAQ the requirement for a non-combat roll without saying that each hero only had one chance at a roll. The tile is cleared, heroes can keep spending MPs and cycles to roll a success. If there is treasure in the chest the heroes are going to spend as much time as needed to crack it open.

Okay, nvm i misread the first line in the faq.

The nature reward is 5 gold, potion, and green treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ, Gold Hoards and Treasure Hoards wrote:

The gold coin image in the results chart should not be a “5” gold coin, it should be an
image of the “1” gold coin. In addition, in the Nature result, it should say “1 Green
Treasure Draw.” This means that the Heroes may draw 1 random green item card

Deadwolf wrote:

You mean 1 gold, anti-venom potion, and green treasure, right? Edit: I stand corrected.

Sylvicolus wrote:

It is an automatically successful non-combat action like picking up other treasure. They mention "roll" in the FAQ, and it means the FD roll. If you read it carefully, you don't need to roll to see if you are able to pick the treasure up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:

Deadwolf wrote:

You mean 1 gold, anti-venom potion, and green treasure, right?

It's a total of 5 Gold, 1 Anti-venom potion, and a Green Treasure Draw.

The Rulebook has an image of a 5-Coin, with a small '5' in a gray circle next to it, leading many of us to wonder if it meant we get 25 Gold. The FAQ clarified that the coin image should be a 1-Coin, but that '5' in the gray circle still remains, which means you'd earn a total of 5 Gold.

Here, this is what the Rulebook should look like:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... I totally missed that. I even read the section in the rulebook, but was hung up on the 1 vs. 5, I think.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.