Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: FF10 - Bug River rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ramirez
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
In the Special Rules for the Soviet artillery each Soviet commander must designate up to two target hexes to go with each Event objective card. Why the use of the term “up to”? Why wouldn’t anyone not choose two? If two are chosen, does the Soviet player get to choose which one or do both get hit? Can smoke be chosen in lieu of HE? There is nothing in the special rules preventing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think "up to" is used to allow to designate the same HEX twice to concentrate fire and to avoid firing on its own units in late position. So the soviet commander is aware that he can set up a "no man's land" in which he should not move.
I have played this firefight with the following rules : one target HEX was linked to one Event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim the Enchanter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I find the wording of this 'must designate up to two target hexes' to be a bit weird. But anyway, assuming it means 'can designate up to two, but must designate at least one...'

The choice of one target I think is for the more conservative player, as you're firing on a part of the board where your own / allied units are likely to be.

If two targets are chosen both get hit.

The Rules say that Off-Board Artillery can always use smoke unless the FF specifically forbids it. It doesn't so I guess that means you can. You would need to write down which ones are going to be smoke when you designate the target hexes during the FF setup, though.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ramirez
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Grey Lensman wrote:
Actually I find the wording of this 'must designate up to two target hexes' to be a bit weird. But anyway, assuming it means 'can designate up to two, but must designate at least one...'

The choice of one target I think is for the more conservative player, as you're firing on a part of the board where your own / allied units are likely to be.

If two targets are chosen both get hit.

The Rules say that Off-Board Artillery can always use smoke unless the FF specifically forbids it. It doesn't so I guess that means you can. You would need to write down which ones are going to be smoke when you designate the target hexes during the FF setup, though.

Cheers

I agree with your analysis. For some reason (unbeknownst to me) I thought you get to choose between the two hexes for the arty. I put one on the bunker and the other away from it depending on how close my forces were to capturing it. What should be done is attack 3 of the 4 bunkers and place all six target hexes on the fourth in hopes of destroying it. Thanks for all the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.