Jevan Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Here is an example of a monster card from our game 'The Mist Arcane'. We will be using high quality full card art for all monster, item and event cards. Let me know what you think about the layout, design and quality. The icons for the attack defence and HP values have yet to be determined but this should give a general idea.

You can find an overview of our game at: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1157467/the-mist-arcane-2-4-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex English
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Knowing nothing about your game, I think the card looks sharp. I definitely like the text font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevan Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you, yeah we feel the font works quite well with the atmosphere we are trying to create. Glad you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't notice, assassination is spelt with two double s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card looks very cool!

But... what irritates me is the hovering text box with flavour text.

If I were you I'd switch the position of the text box and the ability which is put below because the falvour text most likely has (most likely) no effect on the game play. So the ability would be much more important and then it shouldn't be at the bottom of the card but more in the center and it should probably be highlighted for better visibility, e.g. with a text box of it's own. You could also add it to the text box and place it above the flavour text with some sort of divider in the text box.

And I think the hovering text box just looks a bit odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Problem. The background data is huge. Move the skill data into the box as well perhaps and put it at the top of the box.

As is the actual game data is overwhelmed by the prose. Nice prose. Its just presented in a way that overwhelms the game data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
Australia
Flagstaff Hill
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. Love the fact that it doesn't have a border around the edges, leaving more space for the lovely art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Some spelling help: wielded is spelled I before E and you used "too" where it should say "two". I like the card, but I like it when the title name on top is more artful than text. Good work on the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevan Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions!

We understand what you are saying about the text box and are currently working on some other designs to draw more attention to the important elements whilst still retaining the story to each card. We're still a long way away from release and this is an early design which will change before the finished product.

Re. the spelling, the text was quickly typed onto the template to give an idea of and feel for the card. Please overlook these errors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Maunder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Josh here from AO - My bad about the spelling! I'll make sure to double check next time
Just letting you know new card art is in progress and once I have finalised the artwork we will redo the overlay with your suggestions in mind. There's some great ideas on how to organise the cards.
At this stage I feel a good thing to do would be to design a few different layouts for the new card and get some feedback from you guys if that's cool on what you think works best or what you feel might be beneficial to add.

Again thank you for the kind words and helpful advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this at actual size? I ask because while the art looks great if it's supposed to be playing card size the font may be too thin and small to read for some people. Matching it on screen in size with actual 2.5x3.5 cards it looks very small to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Maunder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Rob, they will be standard poker size cards so we will be limited with how much text we can use while also keeping it visible.
I think realistically we will have to stick with a smaller amount of text than in the demo card.
Most cards already have a lot less text, but this guy is a sort of mini boss on one of the 4 quest arcs. The quest mini bosses and the main antagonist will probably be the only cards with background descriptions. Perhaps the rarer items too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with this much information you'll need to make the text box and text overall larger to compensate for all the text you need. Perhaps you could have a slightly different layout for the "boss" cards or even make the bosses larger card sizes. I'd like to see a regular card if the font is larger. It's important to make a game readable by people without the use of a magnifying glass.

I bring it up as I know of a local gamer here where I live that has a LOT of vision issues and he just cannot see such small text. There are games he can't play as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
The illustration work is really well done, nice job!

For what its worth my suggestion would be to eliminate the background story text completely from the card. Ultimately I think it covers up that awesome illustration and has no real effect on the mechanics of the card. If you removed the text box you could make the icons a little larger and that would make the card easier to understand in gameplay. Background story may be best in the later pages of a rulebook, or as a supplement to the game.

Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This text will be tiny at standard playing card size.

Can you repost the image at approximately the correct size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Carson
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For these boss cards with longer text, if possible you could do a custom back design for the story, leaving only required game components on the face.

The this would not work if the boss cards needed to be drawn randomly(by not having a consistent back), but I figured I would throw that out there if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.