Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been really wanting to get a super hero themed game that could be played solitaire for quite awhile, since the days of when hero clix came out. That game however takes more than one person. I am a Marvel and DC long time fan , so I had a couple of questions before I maybe buy the game today at the local comic book shop.
1) Is solitaire play fun and challenging?
2) Does the game provide a great comic book feel?
3) How long does a typical solitaire game take?

Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing primarily solitaire games. They usually last 40-50 min. (counting setup and tear-down. Some of the particularly brutal scheme/hero combinations will deal me an utter defeat in ~30 min. I find it fun, but Dark City is necessary for a challenge unless you use the optional rules to buff the mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it solitary, but I scrapped the solo rules as written and made my own. Others love the solo rules as written, so either way, I don't think you can go wrong. It's a fun game solo and one I've played well over 100 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play 2-handed solo, basically the same as you'd have in a normal 2-player game, except I'm playing both decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
I play primarily solitaire. Quick and easy (after you get to know what's needed in the decks, etc.), maybe 20-50 minutes depending on the scheme. Different Schemes/Mastermind/Villain combinations are more challenging than others.

I love the theme. The solo game requires the use of 3 heroes to draw from, so it's fun coming up with mental storylines as to why, say, Blade, Thor, and The Silver Surfer would be battling Magneto. And why Magento would be attempting to hold up the "Mid-Town Bank." Stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most addictive solo game I've played. Hands down. I even sleeved this game because of how many times I've played it and doesn't get old-first game I've sleeved. Every setup just plays so differently. And I can finish in about a half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for their comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Napier
United States
Mililani
HI
flag msg tools
mb
I play this solo a lot. I don't really like the official solo rules as I feel like it's over too quickly. I have played and enjoyed Sky Zero's variant and highly recommend it.

I play The Lord of the Rings/LCG solo too. I play it 2 handed...I set up the game for two players and play both sides. I just started doing this for Legendary and I like it as it let's me try different strategies/see more cards from the hero deck.

Playing solo can be done in under an hour including set up and put away time. The scheme twists and the growing number of hero's and villains make for a lot of replayability also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've logged over 110 games, the majority of them solo. Obviously, I think it's super-fun. FWIW, Ricky Royal (the gameplay videographer) recently picked it as one of his top solo games (#5 of 30). http://youtu.be/UIs7VQslhxY

Do you like deck-building games? If so, look no further. This is one of the very best. Cool combos and interesting and deep card play. Gameplay is very thematic. Tons and tons of replayability if you get the the expansions. Dark City is a must. It more than doubles the number of heroes and gets the difficulty just right. Also, there's an online competitive scene, the Legendary Online League, and lots of Weekly Challenges for more informal organized play.

That said, if (role-)playing as a super-hero is what you're looking for, then you're probably better off looking at Sentinels of the Multiverse. Legendary is all about managing a team of super-heroes, and you're not playing as one specific hero. Some people prefer the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I only play solo and it's probably my favorite game that I own. The game play is usually about 30 minutes, win or lose for me, not counting set up time (I set up my next game AFTER the game that I just played, so when I open the box I have a game ready to go.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that you have gathered by now that the game is awesome, but I just wanted to add one more voice to this... For single player, It. Is. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.