Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have to use the effect of the alien tech card "Resource Cache" if I roll equal odd and even numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so, it doesn't require a fuel to activate. But,I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The point of the card is that if you roll equal number of odd and even you discard the card. It is sort of a limited use card.

"You receive free resources each turn for as long as you possess the Resource Cache. Count the odd and even value ships after you roll your fleet but before you use any alien tech cards.

- If you have more off ships, you receive one ore.
- If you have more even ships, you receive one fuel.
- If you have equal number of odd and even ships you receive one fuel and one ore and you must immediately discard the Resource Cache.

NOTE: It says you receive, not you may take. It is not a choice what you do, you roll your ships and collect fuel and or ore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Seeing that the effect is that you lose the card, I'd say yes You're not "using" the effect, it's an automatic resource dispenser that might dry up after a while. If you could just avoid the discard effect by not taking the bonus resources, the card might just as well say "Take no resources when there is an equal number of odd and even ships".

Depending how important the free resource is to you, try not having an even number of dice.

Edit: Beaten by Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I played it wrong. I thought that it is my choice to not discard the card if I have equal odd and even rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Delecluyse
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I have a follow-up question: can you manipulate the dice after rolling to avoid losing the card? For example, say I roll 3 even and 3 odd dice (wich would make me lose the resource cache), can I use one of the alien techs to change one of the dice (there are plenty techs that enable such changes), or is the effect immediate, with no chance of altering dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdlecluy wrote:
I have a follow-up question: can you manipulate the dice after rolling to avoid losing the card? For example, say I roll 3 even and 3 odd dice (wich would make me lose the resource cache), can I use one of the alien techs to change one of the dice (there are plenty techs that enable such changes), or is the effect immediate, with no chance of altering dice?

No time to manipulate..sorry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Fernando is right. You receive the bonuses after you've rolled and before you manipulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like y'all have it covered. Yes, the resource reward must be taken and No, the dice cannot be manipulated before the odd/even count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.