Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a co-op game and have found several that I think I might like, but would like some advice. I'm looking for a game that plays well with just 2 people as it's usually just my husband and me (we sometimes get together with friends, but it's mostly just us). A game that plays well solo would also be a plus as sometimes my husband is too tired, but I still want to play something. Since we don't have a lot of time and because of kids and cats, we can't leave a game set up, I want something that doesn't take long to set up and play (an hour to hour and a half is good for us).

We have and enjoy:
Forbidden Island (might get Desert at some point)
Castle Panic

I'm considering:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Elder Sign - we have played this and enjoyed it
Red November

We are totally fine with games involving some luck and know about the dice rolling in Elder Sign. All three I'm considering look good and I really like the themes for all of them. I am happy to buy several of them as we really like co-ops, but I don't know how similar they are and don't want to buy the same game with different themes as there are so many great co-op games. I would consider Arkham Horror, but I think the set up and gameplay would be too long for us at this point. I was considering Mice and Mystics (though a different sort of co-op), but it looks to be OOP and getting pricey. We'll probably get Flash Point Fire Rescue in a year or two when our fireman-loving son is old enough to play.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can borrow forbidden desert sometime, if you want. It's different enough from island to be a totally different (and more difficult) challenge. But, Tom accidentally took it home after tabletop day, so you'll have to wait til we see him again.

Also, I'm thinking about Flash Point too. And, have you played pandemic with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really enjoy coops and normally just play two player with my husband ... and sometimes three player with our gaming friend once a week ... However, I can't really help you with the differences of those three games, as I've only played Elder Sign ... I looked into the Hobbit one that you're talking about and from the reviews I'd think it's different enough from Elder Sign ... But I guess that depends on how different you want as they both involve a lot of dice rolling. But like I said I've only played Elder Sign, which I enjoy a lot, so can't give a fair comparison.

I really enjoy Mice and Mystics and it's too bad if it's OOP ... maybe if they do another expansion it'll come back in print again ...

I also really enjoy Flash Point.

Arkham, I really enjoy but yes the set up and all you have to do and keep track of can be a lot ... Have you looked into Eldritch Horror? The set up is a lot easier and not as much to keep track of ... some people find it really easy, but my husband and I find it crazy hard ... where we have a pretty good chance of beating Arkham we either just win, just lose, or get crushed in Eldritch Horror

Wish I could be more help, as I really do enjoy co-ops

edit: Eldritch Horror or Arkham probably won't be played in your timeframe ... maybe, maybe Eldritch Horror in an hour and a half
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend Pandemic enough. Some people say it's similar to forbidden island but for me it's quite different. I have been looking long and hard at A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game I really like the b movie feel and will pick it up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, ditch the usual suspects and go for something really classy

Freedom: The Underground Railroad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anker The m80 Hobbit
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert has been on my list, since i played Forbidden Island and looks like a great game. Thinking of buying it myself.

I've got Elder Signs, but I do not play it often. Too light you might say or lack something to make it stick thematically in the long run.
That's probably how I would feel about The Hobbit too.

A great game is Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game, and it has that 1 hour playtime (at least with 1 or 2 players)that you also seek.

Pandemic is a great game solo and 2-player, and I often play it with my wife.

Happy hunting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November definitely seems a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played Forbidden Desert and enjoyed it, but not sure if we will buy it. We've also played Pandemic, but it was a while ago and I think we need to try it again. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play Pandemic with you any time. It's not one of Mike's favorites, so I have to ration how often Heindls and I want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.