Netherlands
Dordrecht
ZH
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I currently have my board game The Dutch East Indies out on Kickstarter, but it doesn't go too well, yet.
Does any of you have any feedback on what I could improve? Do you sense any flaws in game design? Or did I simply not reach enough people yet to notice it?
You can find it here, please let me know, any feedback is welcome
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/martinlooij/the-dutch-e...

Thanks,
Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks interesting, but it is not clear what comes in the box. If possible, you should show a version of the game that is as close to the finished product as possible. It does not seem that the pictures and videos do this. In one video, it looks like you are showing some playtest components that look kind of crude (stickers on dice, player sheets in sheet protectors). The big wooden pieces look nice, but is that what the pieces of the published game will look like? The longer video shows 3D islands on a large cloth map. The picture of the components shows player sheets in sheet protectors, which makes it look like a playtest copy rather than the real thing. Also, there is no game board in the picture.

One other detail I noticed - You show an island piece with the name "Nevis" - but Nevis is in the West Indies, not the East Indies. It is a small detail but players will notice these things.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Looij
Netherlands
Dordrecht
ZH
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi TheGrinch,

Thanks for taking the time to go over the Kickstarter and give me some advice!

I thought I had the components clear with this image on the KS page:

It also says above the picture that the ship sheets and cards are still subject to art.

There is indeed no game board yet, there is a cloth instead in the prototype, the game will get a a1 size board. That should be on the KS page but maybe it's not clear enough. I will have a look at how to make this more clear.

About Nevis, that's a really sharp eye there. My supplier made that, I don't know why he picked that island, but if you google maps that island, you'll see that he exactly replicated it, pretty neat. And yes, that's in the Caribbean. I didn't think anyone would notice that. arrrh

Thanks again, I will have a look at the components listed on the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Asselman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
badge
Outside scope of BGG: This is my favorite cinema!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gone into the game design in depth but at first glance it seems similar to Serenissima (second edition) which was recently featured in a video review by marnaudo. When comparing this game to yours, while not going too much into game design details, I see a similar game which has a nice looking board and nice looking game components. This game is still on sale and costs about EUR 50,-.

Your kickstarter doesn't show a finished game board design and the cheapest version will cost me more than EUR 60,-. For me, that makes it a hard sell even though I would like to support a Dutch game designer.

Being Dutch, having to pay shipping costs when US residents don't, doesn't help either but should not be a deal breaker when I'm convinced that I will receive a game that I'll enjoy.

Shipping it in a tube doesn't seem to match the proposed (wooden) board components that are shown in the video and rules out getting a mounted board. It makes it even more uncertain for me what I would get and if the components will last when being stored this way. Combined with not having seen the board art in a near final stage, this is a deal breaker for me.

I wish you all the best with your kickstarter, but I won't be backing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Looij
Netherlands
Dordrecht
ZH
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Marc,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I know Serenissima, but I never actually played it. I know my game isn't cheap, but for a game that features 10 wooden islands, 10 large wooden boats, and lots of wooden barrels and gold bars, etc, I think it's a fair price. But I buy way too many board games, so I shouldn't benchmark with myself.
Please note that shipping to NL is just a $15 cost, and this includes customs. It costs €60 including shipping, not more then. Also please note that the game costs €43 with €17 shipping. There is no such thing as free shipping (to the USA).
I get what you mean about the tube. I wasn't sure of it at first either, it's something my supplier came up with. The problem with shipping it in a box is that it would add €20 to the game, because of the manufacturing costs and the heavily increased shipping costs. But if we would make it a premium tube like on the picture, it would look way cooler than a box. Also, a nautical map sounds way cooler than a standard mounted board. (That would be my personal opinion. I love custom parts)
The board art, maybe I should have that made earlier. It didn't seem like a big deal to me, since it's just water with hexes on it. The fancy things are put on top of them (islands and ships) and I did have those made in advance.
Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.