Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
After having first played this game two summers ago as it was being demoed at WBC, my family recently acquired a copy of it and we played it last night and I'm left with a couple rules questions:

1. Can Posthumous Commendation be vetoed at the end of the game?
2. On the first turn, is one axe thrown, or two?
3. For purposes of Pretend to be Swiss, Self-Determination, or Diplomatic Immunity, does a bodyguard (or translator) throwing an axe counting as Axing an opponent?
3b. If so, and a bodyguard throws an axe at one of my delegates and I play Self-Determination, could the Self-Determination effectively be countered by someone playing a duck (assuming the axe then either hits a minor delegate or a delegate belonging to someone else)?
4. Is every step resolved in turn order? i.e., in the Draw Phase, each player beginning with the Secretary General chooses how many to discard and draws before the next person goes?
5. In the movement phase, can a card be discarded to move a minor delegate only while you are moving or can it be done at any point during the phase while someone else is moving? Can this action be done multiple times or only once per player?
6. What exactly is meant by "Negotiations reading the Treaty should take place only after the Offer is made"? Does this mean that players are not allowed to indicate whether they would be willing to accept the treaty until it is officially offered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Trimboli
United States
Oyster Bay
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My answers have no official weight, but I've played the game a number of times with the creators and I feel I understand their intentions. Dave'll correct anything I get wrong.

Kiwi13cubed wrote:
1. Can Posthumous Commendation be vetoed at the end of the game?

Sure, why not? A Veto can cancel any Action Card as it is played.

Quote:
2. On the first turn, is one axe thrown, or two?

One. On the first turn the Axe Track counter goes on number 1. Think of the pre-game occurring on Axe Track 0 if you like.

Quote:
3. For purposes of Pretend to be Swiss, Self-Determination, or Diplomatic Immunity, does a bodyguard (or translator) throwing an axe counting as Axing an opponent?

Yes indeed! Any of your delegates killing someone else's delegates counts as Axing an opponent.

Quote:
3b. If so, and a bodyguard throws an axe at one of my delegates and I play Self-Determination, could the Self-Determination effectively be countered by someone playing a duck (assuming the axe then either hits a minor delegate or a delegate belonging to someone else)?

No. Until the delegate actually dies, he has not been Axed. You cannot play Self-determination until the delegate is dead. Throwing is not enough; it has to HIT.

Quote:
4. Is every step resolved in turn order? i.e., in the Draw Phase, each player beginning with the Secretary General chooses how many to discard and draws before the next person goes?

With exceptions, yes. The Axe Phase, General Flight Phase, and Gavel Phase are performed by the Secretary General. The Movement Phase, Diplomacy Phase and Draw Phase occur in clockwise order starting with the Secretary General. The Trade Phase is a one-minute free-for-all; turns are not taken in the Trade Phase.

(Note: In earlier versions of the game, the Trade Phase was also performed one player at a time. This is not the case in the final published version.)

Quote:
5. In the movement phase, can a card be discarded to move a minor delegate only while you are moving or can it be done at any point during the phase while someone else is moving? Can this action be done multiple times or only once per player?

Yes, you can move a Minor Delegate at "any time." The rules point out that you can do this to avoid a Thrown Axe, which means you can do it when someone is moving their Bodyguard.

Quote:
6. What exactly is meant by "Negotiations reading the Treaty should take place only after the Offer is made"? Does this mean that players are not allowed to indicate whether they would be willing to accept the treaty until it is officially offered?

Yes, it means that. I don't see how this can really be enforced, however. The intention is obviously to enforce a play order of "Show card, begin negotiations," but what's to stop you from chatting about a prospective future treaty at other times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fooden
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well-answered, David, thanks!

Regarding #6, officially speaking, the rules state you shouldn't start negotiating who will accept a Treaty before the Offer is made. It's a risk to attempt to gain a new Treaty Partner. But if your gaming group is more casual about that sort of thing, and it's more fun for you all to play it like that, then discuss away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.