MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been a LNOE fan since day one. But I've been away from it for a while. So many other games, other hobbies, real life, real life, & real life, etc. But I've faithfully collected expansions all along, all the way through BitF.

I have so much painting to do, along with other obligations, that I still don't know when I'll manage to get LNOE back on the table. But I pull it & its expansions out occasionally & look them over, thinking of when I'll get a chance to play again, & TBH anxiety sets in.

SO many choices, SO many options, WHERE to begin?!? I imagine I may ease back in w/ base only & slowly start adding things (back) in.

Has anyone else had similar issues where they feel overwhelmed, even to some minor degree, with all the choices, options, & sheer volume of material available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually spend 5 minutes making equal choices for both sides with the DOTs system, random tiles, random heroes, and then a few minutes picking a scenario. It's a good bit, but not overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moon, this is word for word the post I was meaning to write myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not overwhelmed, but certainly frustrated by having to repeatedly page through several books and pamphlets, to locate rules for various options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
moon, this is word for word the post I was meaning to write myself!

laugh

Mind you, this is not really a complaint...I love more stuff & am always open to more. But I'm kinda AP prone when it comes to stuff like this & have mild issues with generalized anxiety anyway.

Oddly, I have no issue with "A Touch of Evil", which I also own everything for. But it feels kinda like all the extra stuff integrates...differently?

Maybe it's because ATOE's expansions are "more of the same" in many ways with more Villains, Hero's, boards & cards, but not a lot of new rules, where as the LNOE expansions do add a lot more "working parts" to the mix. Though I do know from experience w/ "Growing Hunger" that the new rules integrate easily.

Another factor could be as I get older & w/ some of the life issues I've had in the interim with clinical depression means I have a little harder time reading, comprehending, & remembering rules than I used to.

May be a non-issue if I can sit down for a session & make some decisions, but I was curious as to others experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShadowOaks Resident
msg tools
I own nearly everything for LNOE and everything for TOE. What I find is if I make the effort to set one up and leave the boxes nearby, I find it easier to slide back into the game. For the longest time, TOE was at the top of my stack of games and I set that up all of the time. I thought to myself "I love TOE. Why would I unpack LNOE?" Then I play a game of LNOE and have the exact opposite reaction (although I prefer TOE slightly to LNOE).

If I were you, I would decide to do a base game scenario and maybe take new characters. Or take just the base game out and a scenario card not in the base game (if it works without the expansion). Start very simply at first. I've played Escape in the Truck dozens of times and had a different experience each time.

As far as reading goes, take the rules book and skim it from time to time. Instead of setting the game up, I sometimes only want to read the rules, especially on nights when life is overwhelming! Also, one great thing about FF games is the boxes around some of the rules. Just read them instead of the entire booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not in the slightest.

Most of the add-on content for this game fits neatly into the decks or pools established in the base game. Adding more cards to a deck does nothing to create analysis paralysis, it is simply a bigger deck.

Other things are optional add-on rules, sure, but I honestly can't say I ever play the game without all the expansion rules anymore....they don't always even all come up in a game, luck or non-luck of the draw.

As for picking the board/characters, my group hardly ever does that non-randomly, so that element of choice is a non-issue.

Also, I am someone with HUGE rules amnesia. I can't recall the rules to any game, ever, unless I've just recently read them, which is why I LOVE games that don't make you remember keywords or things and instead define them on the cards. Sure I can recall the big picture sorts of ideas of a game, but anything about how it actually needs to be played is beyond my recall. I've just gotten used to reviewing rulebooks anytime I want to bring a game out, and it doesn't bother me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all the choices you have for setting up this game, and I don't even have BitF yet. The one thing that sometimes causes some angst is the Timber Peak heroes and board sections that assume you are using the experience system. Sometimes I like to play without those rules (mainly because the zombie upgrades are disappointing). But then if you do a random board or random hero draws, you sometimes end up with references to rules that weren't going to be used.

The other slight problem I've noticed is that the smaller Timber Peak deck doesn't work for some of the older scenarios. I keep the decks separate, and treat it the same as any other set-up option -- which deck to use for the game. But I recently tried to play a Survival of the Fittest scenario that had a random objective, which turned out to require two Townsfolk events. The fact that there are only two in the Timber Peak deck convinced me to abort that game, unfortunately. Could have been solved by planning ahead better, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Also, I am someone with HUGE rules amnesia. I can't recall the rules to any game, ever, unless I've just recently read them, which is why I LOVE games that don't make you remember keywords or things and instead define them on the cards. Sure I can recall the big picture sorts of ideas of a game, but anything about how it actually needs to be played is beyond my recall. I've just gotten used to reviewing rulebooks anytime I want to bring a game out, and it doesn't bother me now.

Ha ha - not just me then I find this because I have a couple of favourite game 'stables' - mainly FFP and Command & Colours (I have everything in both cases). So whilst there are many similarities between games I sometimes apply the wrong one. Examples are when do you draw an Event card on rolling a 1 (FFP) and taking / holding objectives into your next turn (C&C).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

Ha ha - not just me then I find this because I have a couple of favourite game 'stables' - mainly FFP and Command & Colours (I have everything in both cases). So whilst there are many similarities between games I sometimes apply the wrong one. Examples are when do you draw an Event card on rolling a 1 (FFP) and taking / holding objectives into your next turn (C&C).

Yeah, the recent trend in many games towards more-fleshed-out descriptions of keywords and rules on the game materials themselves has been a big help to me. Remember the old days, where games would just say that a unit had "Flurgity Flop Powers" and leave you to look it up even though the card had twenty more lines worth of empty space to define itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lear Wolfe

Kentucky
msg tools
mb
Honestly my biggest issue is that i rarely play with all the cards but will frequently use the whole character pool so occasionally i run into people drawing characters that would start with cards that simply aren't there. We usually resolve this by starting them with something similar if it was a boon and giving the zombie player an extra dot to work with if it was a burden.

I will admit though that if you have enough characters like that you may be able to sneak in a zombie horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lear wrote:
Honestly my biggest issue is that i rarely play with all the cards but will frequently use the whole character pool so occasionally i run into people drawing characters that would start with cards that simply aren't there. We usually resolve this by starting them with something similar if it was a boon and giving the zombie player an extra dot to work with if it was a burden.

I will admit though that if you have enough characters like that you may be able to sneak in a zombie horde.

In your case I think the characters are best balanced by starting them with the intended card. In most (all?) cases that card is part of the core set of the game and should be there anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.