Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Introducing Mage Wars to a gaming group! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Courtney Gebhart
United States
Westlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello BGG,

I started a game group at my place a year ago with just 4 people, 3 of which we're not heavy gamers. I now have a group of 15 - 20 and on game night we average around 10.

I feel if I could introduce Mage Wars about half the group would fall in love with it. I would have to be the person to purchase the initial setup and teach the game but I would have to play with at least 4 people. My plan was to pick up 2 core sets and an expansion.

Now here are the questions for you seasoned ambassadors. Is this the best purchase plan? Should I be purchasing anything else or doing so differently? Second question, how best to teach the game? My initial thought was to run 2, 1 vs 1 games to play 4 people at the same time.

Please provide any and all insights you may have, I would hate to sour this many people on a game I am hoping to start a semi regular league with, first I just need to get some buy in.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit tipsy after two bottles of rather nice Michel Arnoud Rose Champagne, but ...

Two core sets
Two 1v1 games
Run half map apprentice games
Use recommended apprentice spell books
90 minute time limit
Next game keep mages and swap opponents
Crack on

Regards,

Fentum
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An important rule that most every beginner does not get: Quick Cast marker is for "Casts" (spells), not movement or actions.

There are multiple videos they can watch before an actual game too, so they start with some knowledge of the game, instead of cold turkey.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not learn the game during the game night. I would get together with another person at a different time to play the game a few times before moving on to the group. There are so many keywords that you will spend your whole first 3-5 games looking up rules to remember the keywords. (especially guarding, flying, fast, slow, etc.)

After you feel comfortable playing it a few times then introduce it to the group in games of two others with you as the rules consultant. If you have two copies of the game then I would not play multiplayer, but instead have two games of edit2on2 1on1 going and just help both groups at the same time.

Also as was mentioned use the apprentice rules and spell book. If you don't you risk turning them off to the game as your first few games with a regular spell book and full life can last 3 hours.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Gebhart
United States
Westlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am very good with rules but I was planning on a couple of walk through games with my wife before introducing to the group. I have already watched the tutorials on Arcane Wonders site. After all the miniatures games I've played I feel comfortable dealing with key words.

Now are you suggesting I run two game of 2 on 2? I thought it better to run 2 of 1 vs 1 as not all my players are what I would call gamers. I could have another game at a separate table for those not interested in such a tactical game.

Is one board big enough for 2 vs 2 as other posts make it sound like it is not so?

Any suggestions on what too purchase if I am too end up with 3 or 4 people who will be interested in playing if it will just be my cards?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
I am a bit tipsy after two bottles of rather nice Michel Arnoud Rose Champagne, but ...

Two core sets
Two 1v1 games
Run half map apprentice games
Use recommended apprentice spell books
90 minute time limit
Next game keep mages and swap opponents
Crack on

Regards,

Fentum


This is what I suggest as well.

One board is big enough for 2v2 but not for FFA games. Still I would recommend doing two 1v1 games using apprentice mode instead.

Two core sets would be enough for four people to play. I would also purchase an action marker set in case you do want to play multiplayer ever. Otherwise base your purchases on what cards people want to customize their books with.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortbeard wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am very good with rules but I was planning on a couple of walk through games with my wife before introducing to the group. I have already watched the tutorials on Arcane Wonders site. After all the miniatures games I've played I feel comfortable dealing with key words.

Now are you suggesting I run two game of 2 on 2? I thought it better to run 2 of 1 vs 1 as not all my players are what I would call gamers. I could have another game at a separate table for those not interested in such a tactical game.

Is one board big enough for 2 vs 2 as other posts make it sound like it is not so?

Any suggestions on what too purchase if I am too end up with 3 or 4 people who will be interested in playing if it will just be my cards?




sorry, I meant two games of 1v1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:

I would also purchase an action marker set in case you do want to play multiplayer ever.


Assuming you can get them. They don't exist over here, and no-one has had them in stock in over a year. Whilst I've looked at importing them from the US, etc, the costs are prohibitive - £20-30 (or about $30-50 for a set of markers).

Buying 2 core sets and spray painting one of them is our option. There is supposed to be a Pink/Grey set in June that we are hoping makes it's way to the UK...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting the markers from the 2nd core set would be cheaper even if the action marker set is available actually. I'm just not very crafty, lol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Zub3ri wrote:

I would also purchase an action marker set in case you do want to play multiplayer ever.


Assuming you can get them. They don't exist over here, and no-one has had them in stock in over a year.


I have written to Arcane Wonders about this. I don't think it is their problem - I think the buyers at Esdevium Games have dropped the ball on Mage Wars - but they can negotiate from their end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Painting the markers from the 2nd core set would be cheaper even if the action marker set is available actually. I'm just not very crafty, lol.


Unfortunately you have to leave the tops with the original colour perimeter, or just paint them plain white. They don't look as good, but it's functional.

How crafty do you need to be to point an aerosol can? lol

Stephanie Baynes wrote:

I have written to Arcane Wonders about this. I don't think it is their problem - I think the buyers at Esdevium Games have dropped the ball on Mage Wars - but they can negotiate from their end.


That's entirely possible - it's a recurring problem with the entire UK only having a single distributor for all functional purposes. They are the sole gatekeeper, and also monopolistic on prices. Which is why often have the ridiculous situation of being able to buy games from Germany and importing far cheaper than we can buy them here in the UK.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
How crafty do you need to be to point an aerosol can? lol


It also usually involves tape, which may or may not attack me. And aiming. The aiming is an important part that I often forget >_>
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
How crafty do you need to be to point an aerosol can? lol


It also usually involves tape, which may or may not attack me. And aiming. The aiming is an important part that I often forget >_>


Remember - the nozzle points away... AWAY!

(and take a deep breath beforehand just in case!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I paint models. And spray a lot. I ought to know by now. But I have still shot red paint up my arm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.