John S
msg tools
Forgive me if this is in the rulebook, but I'm playing as OL with someone else's copy of the game, so I don't have easy access to it.

Are lieutenants considered "monsters"? My gut feeling is "no", but that would seem to make a lot of my OL cards (which use the exact text "monster") useless in the Finale when there is a plethora of lieutenants about. No Frenzy, no Dash, no Critical Blow, not to mention all my previously bought cards.

Regardless of the actual answer, I believe I will judge the lieutenant as a "monster" since this is the second campaign we've played together and the previous overlord (who won 7/9 quests in a two hero game) used Dash/Frenzy/Critical Blow on lieutenants in the past. So at least we will be consistently (and fairly) "wrong".

This question is especially germane because I'm headed into the Finale in a 3-hero game, and I just (conveniently) won "The Ritual of Shadows", so I can pretty much recreate my deck any way I want. So....what's the perfect deck for Gryvorn Unleashed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slack00 wrote:
Forgive me if this is in the rulebook, but I'm playing as OL with someone else's copy of the game, so I don't have easy access to it.

Are lieutenants considered "monsters"? My gut feeling is "no", but that would seem to make a lot of my OL cards (which use the exact text "monster") useless in the Finale when there is a plethora of lieutenants about. No Frenzy, no Dash, no Critical Blow, not to mention all my previously bought cards.

Regardless of the actual answer, I believe I will judge the lieutenant as a "monster" since this is the second campaign we've played together and the previous overlord (who won 7/9 quests in a two hero game) used Dash/Frenzy/Critical Blow on lieutenants in the past. So at least we will be consistently (and fairly) "wrong".

This question is especially germane because I'm headed into the Finale in a 3-hero game, and I just (conveniently) won "The Ritual of Shadows", so I can pretty much recreate my deck any way I want. So....what's the perfect deck for Gryvorn Unleashed?

They are considered monsters and you can use these cards on them.

As to the "perfect deck". That depends much more on the heroes and their gear and abilities rather than the quest in question. Do they have a way of reliably removing statuses? Then you can forget about most trap cards. Do they have lots of healing? Then you probably want some way of piling damage on (Frenzy and Bloodrage are favorites of mine), to make it count and something stick. So, figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are and make sure that your cards mitigate or avoid the former and exploit the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition Rulebook, Page 17, Lieutenants wrote:
Lieutenants are represented on the map by lieutenant tokens, but they are treated as monster figures for all purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edoardo Anastasi
Italy
flag msg tools
that makes me feel better since last time i used blood rush on belthir on my first turn of death on the wings because the heroes were planning on letting him live to gather as many treasures as possible...
and since they didnt pick the first search in theyr first turn that meant no gold for the sneaky bitches XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.