Subject: Stealth Device question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was told at a tournament that stealth device is discarded when a hit symbol is rolled no matter if I dodge it or not. That would mean the first time somebody shoots and rolls a hit would already cancel the effect. Even before I roll for defence.

Doesn't sound right to me. What's correct? I'd assume only if I fail to dodge and there is a real hit either loosing shields or getting a damage card would discard stealth device.

Please help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:
I was told at a tournament that stealth device is discarded when a hit symbol is rolled no matter if I dodge it or not. That would mean the first time somebody shoots and rolls a hit would already cancel the effect. Even before I roll for defence.

Doesn't sound right to me. What's correct? I'd assume only if I fail to dodge and there is a real hit either loosing shields or getting a damage card would discard stealth device.

Please help

A "Hit" is well defined in the rulebook. If someone rolls attack dice and you roll evade dice and there are uncancelled hits remaining after you used the evade results and/or tokens, then and only then are you hit.

So whoever told you that at the tournament was very wrong.

However, loosing a shield or taking damage is not a requirement. So for instance if there is only one crit remaining and someone with "draw their fire" takes that instead of the targeted ship, then you are still considered hit and loose the stealth device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There needs to be a hit. Either an uncancelled damage or critical damage.

You normally would then loose a shield or take a damage card. But if this is prevented (Draw their fire) stealth device is still discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And taking damage from an obstacle is NOT considered being hit, so will not cost you your Stealth Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
And taking damage from an obstacle is NOT considered being hit, so will not cost you your Stealth Tactics.

Ditto for all other effects that deal damage without actually being a hit, like the area effect from bombs, assault missiles or abilities like darth vader's crew member ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of good information here, but let's take a fresh look at it.

The card reads (regarding discarding):

If you are hit by an attack, discard this card.

1st condition: you need to be targeted by an attack. That disqualifies splash damage from Assault Missiles and damage from flying over an asteroid, or even using Draw Their Fire to take a critical damage.

2nd condition: hit by the attack. There is some careful wording in the rulebook: "compare results: Players compare the final attack and defense dice results to determine if the defender was hit and how much damage it suffers." Note that the "if hit" part is separate from the "damage" part. That's relevant because Draw Their Fire can be used to draw damage off, but the attack still hits. The lack of damage does not stop the attack from "hitting". In addition we now know about a z95 pilot (Blount) that hits regardless of the damage (kinda what your cheater opponent was trying to pull).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
true. What I meant is you need to be "hit" to discard the card. No matter if other effects prefent the damage. Thanks for all your answers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.