United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to smoke yourself, get your pets to take it up. You soon won't notice the smell, such as it is. It fades after time anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just that smokers get used to the smell of smoke/tobacco. I believe that smoking actually impairs the sense of smell for everything.

My dad once gave up smoking for about 6 months after decades of 10-20 a day (he started again though which was a shame after all that work), and was claiming that his sense of smell had improved from just just a couple of weeks in. He put on weight, partly because he said food just smelled so good - and he absolutely detested the smoke smell on other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
If you don't want to smoke yourself, get your pets to take it up. You soon won't notice the smell, such as it is. It fades after time anyway.
Yes, if you teach a house full of monkeys to smoke soon the smell of monkey feces and monkey smoke will mask any smell coming off the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound goofy, and many of the earlier ideas in the thread sound pretty workable to me... but my father used to always burn a half-dozen candles in the house when my mother had her bridge group come over to play.

This was in the 70s-80s, and most of the ladies smoked. My father hated it, and always had the candles burning. It did an amazing job of managing the smell.

Dad couldn't stand scented candles, and always had "plain white" tapers on hand. Perhaps as you work with these ideas this may offer some further help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Kats
United States
San Bruno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get a mesh fabric baggy and put some baking soda/cedar chips/potpurri in the bag. Place the bag in the box.

Place the game box in a big bag surrounded by dryer sheets for a day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the dryer sheets are working for the bits. But the rules book is not coming "clean" and the box is standing firm on keeping its smell too. I'm going to have to try the "bury the box under a boatload of dryer sheets" and see it that helps. The rule book I could throw away, but I don't want to, so I have sheets between each page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, use baking soda and just cover the thing with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Daley

Massachusetts
msg tools
Yeah just cover everything in baking soda. I used this for a bunch of ties I got from a smokers house and it worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A year later and no luck. I'm going to bury the box in baking soda and check in another year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you actually have to be a bit more aggressive and use something like an isopropyl alcohol spray (the sort the we used to use in the olden days to clean our CDs) to barely moisten the surface(s) and then quickly wipe over with a microfibre cloth before the alcohol evaporates.

I have done that on rulebooks and boxes with success but you cannot be sure it won't remove some of the printing unless you test it first, and it's a 'wipe over' not a scrub!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry out multiple used green tea bags and stick them in a bag with the game (and in the game box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold it! Wait a moment.

Small warning.

Some types of cardstock naturally smell like cigaret smoke. I got one or two games that had that right out of the box because it was the box that had that scent. Paperbacks sometimes do as well.

So you may not be able to get rid of the smell.

At a guess it is some sort of treatment of the paper.

I noticed it particularly with stuff from the UK.

So if the smell has not aired out in that long after treatments then it may be the box. Or it may just have been in a place with lots of smokers. Oddly none of my surviving older games smell of smoke despite having a family of intensive smokers. Not sure why as by all rights everything should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this thread about an hour ago and now I'm seeing ads on the BGG main page for Tidy Cat. What is going on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably some sort of tracker on BGG.

Go to a thread about seals and see if BGG tries to sell you sealing wax... yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Estep
United States
Morehead
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
LexiCon ... April 20-22, Lexington, KY www.lexicongaming.com
mbmbmbmbmb

What if you put a dryer sheet in the box? Maybe it'll at least cover the smoke smell with something better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozlo wrote:

What if you put a dryer sheet in the box? Maybe it'll at least cover the smoke smell with something better.

nope. that was already tested a year ago. I think a dryer sheet needs to be heated up to work or rubbed on it, leaving a film of perfume on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try fresh coffee grounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

So then the question will be "how to get the smell of coffee from a game?" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juggler5 wrote:
I am a dorm director at a university, and this is how the delinquent freshmen mask the scent of weed.

The technique you describe is for masking the scent of weed SMOKE when you are exhaling.

Blowing dryer sheet scented air in a box wont help remove soaked in odors much.

The concept is:
as the smoke passes THROUGH the dryer sheet the smoke odors are absorbed and masked by the dyer sheet & its scent.

It works well if the only smoke produced is exhaled.

The "delinquent" freshman know that.

Now they can just vape it and you will never smell a thing.

Smoking weed is so 70's, vaping is what the cool kids are doing these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

So then the question will be "how to get the smell of coffee from a game?" devil

Thats easy. You put baking soda in the box.

Then to get rid of the baking soda odor you put cigarettes in the box.

Then to get rid of the... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianna
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you by chance see this thread from further back in this forum:
Looking to acquire: Mildewy and smoke-ridden games

alfredhw wrote:
What I can do is this: If you send me a smelly game, I'll give it everything I've got to rid it of the smell. Some of those ways may have side effects, fair warning, but would result in a playable game. (Assuming it has all the pieces. But I may try to fix that, too.) Afterwards, I send it back. Also, you get a credit in the acknowledgements. Go you! Welcome to scholarly search engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
berserkley wrote:
Windopaene wrote:
Ground coffee in the bag is good as well, along with the cat litter, bicarbonate, charcoal, etc.

It should be emphasized that we're talking about unused cat litter...

And keep in mind cats are horribly bad at guessing your intentions. Your sophisticated game desinfectant appliance looks just like an extra litter box to them. I don't want to see any "The cigarette smell is gone, but..." thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Year and a half...still smells. Might not be any way to do this without any other professional way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Saunders
United States
Syracuse
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I donate time to local thrift store and what they do is leave it out in bright sunlight. After about 3-4 days, the smokey smell seems to "burn" out of the items. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Purman
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you are diligent! Lots of great suggestions here for those SPI games acquired on EBay. More musty than smoky in my case. Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |