Neil Stevens
Scotland
Kelso
Roxburghshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played through a mini campaign game and did enjoy the look and feel of the game. I have just skimmed through version 2 of the rules and the one thing that stands out as still being strange is the requirement to place a fire marker on the initial hit of a primary (and secondary?) compartment. The fact that there is then a fire that is not a deck fire is then not referred to in subsequent damage or repair rules.

I played them as effectively reminders that the damage recorded during the wave was effectively new damage and presumed that an successful repair result was enough to remove them.

However, if not successful at repair do you roll for spreading fire in a similar way to deck fires?? I guess this could still happen but if the department is destroyed then the fire can effectively be contained so the ship will not be lost like with a deck fire.

Have I missed anything? ?

bb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pope
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
They pretty much do nothing. I asked about this awhile back, here.

They are just meant to show that the compartment is not flooded or completely destroyed (as the other two markers of this type).

It doesn't make much sense having the compartment fire counters at all, since Hit markers are enough to show that it's been damaged. I suppose they may come in handy if we want to create a variant that implements fire spread in compartments, but the official line is that they're just for show.

I had hoped that the new rules would clarify this better, especially since it was discussed here while they were being worked on. Not sure I understand the reasoning behind avoiding the 'Geek forums while they were re-writing, as this example shows a much needed clarification request was probably missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I just found this discussion -- this was driving me crazy! So basically these markers can just be dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right, they are a reminder that the compartment was hit. That will become useful per Rule 7.8.2 H, which states:

"At the end of the phase and Primary Compartment (not secondary compartment or equipment) that has not had a repair crew assigned to it during the phase will have an additional hit added to it to reflect the fact that the damage from the fire and/or flooding is spreading."

The problem with the rule above is that, as written, it literally says that ANY Primary Comportment without a repair crew will suffer this damage, when I think what it meant to say was that any Primary Compartment THAT WAS HIT THIS TURN will suffer such damage. And if that is true, then those fire markers placed with the first hit on each Primary comportment are a handy reminder of which ones might suffer this damage.

That would still leave the question of when you remove the fire markers. I'm going to play that they are removed when the section has a repair crew assigned to it, and during the end-of-turn clean up phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.