Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medeira is awesome. But it doesn't "round out" an order. It's the centerpiece. Everything else rounds out the order.

Vanuatu (not listed) is awesome and what came to mind first, but I'm not sure how it plays 2p. According to the poll, about 1/2 the people recommend it with 2p. The box actually says 3-5p, but there's an official 2p variant in the files section.

Archipelago seems like a particularly bad choice for 2p.

Bora Bora works for 2p, and is a pretty safe bet, although not super inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe take a look at Conquest of Paradise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise
Vikings
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island has you shipwrecked on an island that you need to explore. It's an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amerigo is another possible choice, although i have no idea personally how well it plays with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
What do you mean by "round out an order" - new to the game lingo apparently.

You're the one that said "round it out"! I was just referring to your own language.

The point is just that Madeira is a very substantial game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel Archipelago is nearly as complicated as people make it out to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Flew completely over my head... gotcha. So I take it you think quite highly of it... suprised it's not higher or more well-known.

It's getting there. It's only recently released in the US. And the appeal is not as broad as like Dominion, Carcassonne, Ticket To Ride, etc. It's fairly involved and this takes a fair bit of dedication to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
- Puerto Rico (works with 2 players?)

San Juan -- the card game version of Puerto Rico -- plays better with 2 players than Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you want Navegador if you can find it!! It has everything I've wanted out of a sailing around game, economics, variable scoring paths, building an economic engine. We have a lot of fun with Navegador. Also +1 to Vanuatu A lot of things to do and never able to do them all in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and Bora Bora is nothing like COB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colemunrochitty wrote:
I think you want Navegador if you can find it!! It has everything I've wanted out of a sailing around game, economics, variable scoring paths, building an economic engine. We have a lot of fun with Navegador. Also +1 to Vanuatu A lot of things to do and never able to do them all in this game!

+1 to Navegador. It's exactly what you want. It's recently out of print, but can still be found for a decent price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049GEILI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
colemunrochitty wrote:

For two players?

I would also recommend Conquest of Paradise, as it seems to scale well from 2-4. Note, however, that although it is very Euro-ey, there is the potential for players to attack each other. So, if that is one feature of Euro games that you are looking for (the avoidance of direct conflict), then you might want to steer clear.

Bora Bora, while a great game, does not make me feel like I'm exploring at all. In fact, the theme is pretty unconnected.

Madeira is more economic and less exploration as well.

You might have a look at Nautilus. It's not an island, but ather an undersea exploration game. I've not played it with two, but it seems to be recommended at that player count. It's certainly much lighter than the above games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise sounds like your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pip Count 167 wrote:
Conquest of Paradise sounds like your game.

A 6.79 average rating? Probably wouldn't waste my time with anything below like 7.3. There are hundreds of games with a rating of 7.3 or higher. Why waste time with junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Navegador is what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
A 6.79 average rating? Probably wouldn't waste my time with anything below like 7.3. There are hundreds of games with a rating of 7.3 or higher. Why waste time with junk.
Huh? Right now the Geek Rating falls below 7.3 at the game ranked 116. That's pretty narrow thinking in my estimation.

Average Rating is harder to peg because that also includes "hundreds" rated 10 but by only 1 and 2 voters, which I could understand as easily dismissable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:

This is terrible advice. It may even be the worst advice I've ever seen someone write on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Vanuatu - It has role-selection and a sort-of worker-placement mechanic. I've heard it can be particularly mean at times.

+1 Navegador - One of my favorite games ever. It has a really cool economic mechanism. It has exploration. It plays fantastic with 2. This may be your winner, IMO.

Francis Drake - Something a bit newer. It's big and expensive. I'm not sure what kind of game it would be for 2 though.

Yes, Puerto Rico does work well with 2 players, IMO. I think it's better with more, but I still like to play it with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to look at Vasco da Gama. It has nautical, economy and exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
+1 Vanuatu - It has role-selection and a sort-of worker-placement mechanic. I've heard it can be particularly mean at times.

+2....Just make sure you play with real good friends OR people you want to stop coming to game night. Either way...BEWARE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island as mentioned above. The expansion Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) has even more of a nautical and economic theme. Highly recommended for solo or group play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

This is terrible advice. It may even be the worst advice I've ever seen someone write on this site.

I don't have time to waste on crappy games. Only the best. I've played many games below 7.3, and they've all been rated that low for a reason. None have been worth my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I don't have time to waste on crappy games. Only the best. I've played many games below 7.3, and they've all been rated that low for a reason. None have been worth my time.
Hint: that doesn't automatically make them "crappy" or "junk".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira is about twice as long/complex as Navegador. I think that's your deciding factor. BTW, there's no exploration in Madeira, but I think it's the better game (but I tend to prefer the more complex side)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
thedacker wrote:
atomheartmother wrote:

I mean this is sort of silly advice I have to agree ... even you yourself think Rampage is an "8" when BGG only rates it a "lowly 6.78"? What .... you don't heed your own advice laugh

There are lots of games on BGG that are rated differently than any one person might agree. There are some absolutely superb games IMO that are rated way below where they should be ... and others that are rated really highly that I think are "crappy games". The eye of the beholder and all of that ...

Incidentally in response to the poster of this thread I think Puerto Rico is a top notch game .. though not best with 2.

Tobago might be a better fit for that number and generally fits your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.