Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
I am looking for a new game for my wife and I and wanting a Stefan Feld game.

Looking at Castles of Burgundy - due to rating and word of mouth but turned off by basic look and feel of components. I take great interest in the looks and quality of a board game and this one just seems cheap and dare to say it the theme is so thin could come across as boring or dull?

Would Bora Bora, Bruges, Macao, or Trajan be a better option?

ALL of Stefan Feld's games have a thin theme, but if you can look over that then they are all good "point salad" games if you like those kind of games (I have 6 of his titles).

From my experience The Castles of Burgundy, Trajan, Macao, Bruges, and Notre Dame all scale well and thus play good with 2. The only one in my collection that plays better with more people (4 or 5) is Rialto, but that is because it is an area control game and these usually play better at higher player counts. I do not have (and will unlikely get) Bora Bora as it is of similar weight to TRAJAN which I already have, but seeing as it has rules to scale it it to 2 I would assume it would play well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Stefan Feld game is Macao. But if you want to see a cleverly designed and unique set-up, look at Notre Dame.

I've played all five of the games you mention. Here's my ranking order:

Macao
Bora Bora (extremely busy but very helpful player board)
The Castles of Burgundy
Bruges and Trajan (about equal).

I also love
In the Year of the Dragon
Luna (very nice looking set-up too)
The Speicherstadt (also nice to look at)
Roma

I haven't played
Rialto, Amerigo, or Rum & Pirates enough to have a valid opinion about them. Rum & Pirates has a clever box design for storage and quick set-up of the parts. Amerigo has a great looking board.

The only Stefan Feld games that aren't recommended for two players are Strasbourg and The Speicherstadt, though there are variants for two players. Feld games seem to be known for their enjoyment with any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges if you want something light (relatively) and quick.

Castles if you want a longer play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage you to look past the superficial issues.

Castles plays very well with 2 players and is great for the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is almost a better option than breathing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that Macao doesn't play as well with 2 as CoB.

3 or 4 players is a different matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played most of Feld's games. My two favorites are Bora Bora and Trajan (Bora by a hair). But my feeling is that for 2p, Bora is not the best choice, it is a little too loose at that player count.

For 2p, Trajan, Castles, Macao and Bruges are all good choices. I would throw Speicherstadt in there too as long as it includes the Kaispeicher expansion.

I'd go with Trajan if weight is not a factor. If your looking for more of a middleweight that plays a little quicker, it would be Castles for me.

Both of these (Trajan, Castles) are somewhat underwhelming visually. Don't let that be your deciding factor or you will be missing out on some really great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a very reasonable choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Senorcoo.... looked over your game list and it seems we like the same style of games (pleased to see you rank Stone Age so high).

Going to order Suburbia and CoB for sure. Was leaning toward a newer game, Madeira, but worried at the difficulty level... probably go with your recommendation and get Macao since it's gameplay is different than CoB and has the same weight (unlike Madeira's 4.20).

Madeira is VERY long for what you get out of it. Teaching alone can push 30 mins depending on who you're teaching.

@Neil - Macao plays great 2p, especially between players of similar skill level. Macao scales great and the 4p game can make trailing on the wall the whole game a very dangerous practice. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to geekmail me. CoB is also very good 2p, but becomes less enjoyable with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
Bruges if you want something light (relatively) and quick.

Castles if you want a longer play.

My thoughts as well. My wife and I have enjoyed over 30 games of Castles and we're not tired of it at all. 2-player is its sweet spot, whereas Bruges seems a little better with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Burgundy; it's a comfort game for the wife and I. We're at 39 plays and are still happy to bring it out.

Bruges is a little quicker and more volatile, a little more susceptible to luck but still a terrific game. We've also played a lot of 2-player Notre Dame over the years.

These 3 are my favorites for 2 players.

I love Amerigo for 3 or 4 players. I like it with 2 as well, but it's better with more. I'm impressed with Rialto so far as well (but I'm thinking 4 or 5 will be the best number for this).

Macao didn't go over at all for us (sorry Black Adder). In the year of the Dragon, Roma, Bora Bora, Trajan and the Speicherstadt have all come and gone as well. None were really outright flops, but they weren't ultimately keepers either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Macao is almost a better option than breathing.
Wow... You're starting to fall out of love with Macao?!?!?

Buy Castles of Burgundy. The game is so awesome you won't notice the components. It's the best spouse-friendly game there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd put Macao ahead of breathing except that if I suffocate, playing Macao becomes considerably more difficult.

My biggest beef with CoB is that the buildings are hard for me to discern one from the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here Jack,cant tell the damn buildings apart,,,Upgrade in order !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see that it isn't just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges is the best intro to Feld because it shows you how his games tend to operate in a game that isn't too complex. If you like that, then move on to CoB and Trajan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mörk
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Feld games.

CoB is really good with 2p, the best Feld for 2p i think...

Trajan and Bruges better with 3p or more in my opinion. Due to more interaction (Bruges) and more options in winning strategy that involves more players (Trajan). But they still work with 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mörk
Sweden
Luleå
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador > Madeira imo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Senorcoo.... looked over your game list and it seems we like the same style of games (pleased to see you rank Stone Age so high).

Going to order Suburbia and CoB for sure. Was leaning toward a newer game, Madeira, but worried at the difficulty level... probably go with your recommendation and get Macao since it's gameplay is different than CoB and has the same weight (unlike Madeira's 4.20).

Madeira is VERY long for what you get out of it. Teaching alone can push 30 mins depending on who you're teaching.

@Neil - Macao plays great 2p, especially between players of similar skill level. Macao scales great and the 4p game can make trailing on the wall the whole game a very dangerous practice. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to geekmail me. CoB is also very good 2p, but becomes less enjoyable with more.

Despite the length, Madeira is a very enjoyable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Castles of Burgundy.. the thin theme is soon forgotten due to the incredible triumph of mechanics that Feld designed here. It's one of the best games I have ever played.. period. Also it's very spouse-friendly from what I read and in my experience, it is the most played game btw my g/f and I. If you still don't want to take the jump because of the lack of theme (which is irrelevant here)... go with Bora Bora.. beautiful game, incredible mechanics, more theme (arguably) and spectacular components for $37 (it's an incredible buy). Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.