United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two things to note about this:

First, this is the closest game of Catchup I've ever played (among more than 1000 plays). Final score:

20-9-1-1 to 20-9-1-0

I lost on the third tiebreak! 9-1-1 INDEED.

Second, this is what the iOS app currently looks like. There's been a recent flurry of activity as the developer is making a renewed push to get it out. Progress!

[Note: because I licensed Catchup to the developer (rather than paying the developer to make it), he gets to release it on his own schedule, and he's got lots of other paying gigs taking up his time. He's a great developer though, and I've become hopelessly addicted even to this beta version. Note the final version will look different - different colors and slightly different icons/layout - but will keep the minimal "flat" style, which I greatly appreciate here]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I am excited about the app and for you! Not sure how I feel about the bumblebee colors, but I suppose I could get used to them (if they were retained). Will different board sizes also be an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And AI level 19??? Holy crap, how many levels is this thing gonna have/need? Was that the hardest level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Awesome! I am excited about the app and for you! Not sure how I feel about the bumblebee colors, but I suppose I could get used to them (if they were retained). Will different board sizes also be an option?

Thanks!

Colors will be different, and you'll have option to choose diff color schemes in addition.

Different board sizes not an option, but I promise that this size will keep you occupied for a surprisingly long time. Part of that has to do with the many, many AI levels, and part with the fact that are many layers of strategy to discover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
And AI level 19??? Holy crap, how many levels is this thing gonna have/need? Was that the hardest level?

There are 20 levels. Lots of people have trouble beating even the first level, and we're talking about ways of making the early levels easier. The developer tells me he's never gotten past level 5. It's a Monte Carlo Engine and it's pretty ferocious at this kind of game.

I'm only good at it because I've played more than 1000 games. I'm about as good as level 20 (I win about 40% of level 20 games now, but I'm still improving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, of course, you'll be able to play against other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice!

will it be a universal app, or ipad only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Black Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait -- this is an instabuy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
There are 20 levels. Lots of people have trouble beating even the first level, and we're talking about ways of making the early levels easier.

If there are that many levels, then level 1 should really be an extremely easy cakewalk so newbies don't feel utterly discouraged & stupid as soon as they start trying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autoplectic wrote:
very nice!

will it be a universal app, or ipad only?

I can't remember what he chose to do. I'll get back to you next time I talk with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gtranbot wrote:
Can't wait -- this is an instabuy for me.

Wooohaaaaa! Thank you and you are both smart and handsome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
There are 20 levels. Lots of people have trouble beating even the first level, and we're talking about ways of making the early levels easier.

If there are that many levels, then level 1 should really be an extremely easy cakewalk so newbies don't feel utterly discouraged & stupid as soon as they start trying the game.

My feeling exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
Very cool!

Thanks! Also, I love your microbadges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

Ok, the opening levels are now super, super easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blank

North Carolina
msg tools
I actually have an even closer game, though proving it requires me admitting I got beat down past level 9.

Lost on the fourth tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperpape wrote:
I actually have an even closer game, though proving it requires me admitting I got beat down past level 9.

Lost on the fourth tiebreaker.
I think my closest game has been that loss to you. You're also still the only one besides Nick to beat me on the iOS app - my third loss was a flipped-username forfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.