Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every time I play this game, something like this happens. I don't always like the outcome, but it always makes me love this game even more.

Consider this a "mini-session report," or something.

Playing West Tank Barrier, I'm the Marines against

Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
, who is playing his first game.

The game has started to swing in my favor. I've unleashed the hell of a flamethrower against his Sogeki Hei before he can even fire a shot. I've advanced under the cover of smoke to the bunker and burned the SNLF squad and weapon team / battalion gun stationed there to a crisp. I've occupied the bunker, and begun to prepare my final assault on his last line of defenses. The VP marker is at 0, but I'm looking good to push the last Japanese forces off the map. I have launched a series of fire attacks in previous turns and pulled rolls like 9, 11, 10, 9 to which Jay has pulled morale checks like 3, 2, 5, 4... It has been brutal. Several times we've swapped initiative card back and forth, every time it's worked out to my advantage.

Then this happens.

The forces in boxes to the left of the map are the relevant units. The Japanese stack starts in the hex marked with the red diamond. The Marine units are in the bunker (marked with the green star. Jay plays a move and Obata scampers through the Marines' own smoke screens to lay in wait outside the former Japanese command bunker (position marked by red star). Constant fire from the Marines doesn't faze the grizzled Japanese veteran (fire attack and morale check rolls normalized some, remember there's a lot of smoke on the field).

Obata peers through the smoke. Can they inflict casualties on the Americans from here with their small numbers (only 2 teams)? No, and the damned flamethrower isn't likely to fail again (last turn I fired it, broke one team, suppressed the next). No, this matter cannot be settled at this distance. Heroically, the Sargent rises and screams "For the Emperor!!!" The Japanese soldiers grip hand grenades, shed their small arms, and stream into the bunker (revive 2 followed by advance). Screams and curses in English and Japanese deafen everyone in the bunker.

The Americans are caught a bit short, as their Sargent hasn't recoverd from a near miss earlier (suppressed - melee combat factors 12 Japan to 9 Marines). 'But wait! There seems to be only half a squad here - where are the rest of the Marines,' wonders Obata, a heartbeat too late. In a shadowy corner of the bunker, more Marines leap into the fray, surprising the Japanese! [I had three ambush cards in my hand, Jay had none ... yeah, read that again]

Determined not to fail in what was sure to be his last opportunity to defend his nation, Obata yelled for his men to detonate their grenades just as the US Marines closed. He had noticed some cooking fuel and loose ammunition left behind by the original defenders. And there was that American flamethrower, useless now, but full of combustible material...

Final melee combat factors - 7 for Japan, 9 for US. No bayonets. Final melee rolls - 15 for Japan, 15 for the US.

The Marine squads flanking the bunker heard a deafening roar, saw a huge flash, covered their ears and looked up. Where Sargent McGowan had been just a moment ago, where they'd seen shadowy Japanese figures moving forward, where there had been a defensible position, now they saw... nothing? As one PFC looked inside the bunker, he saw the carnage, the chunks of bone and flesh and so much blood it looked as if someone had painted the structure red...

Yes, that happened. I'd love to know how many times one side has had THREE AMBUSH CARDS in a melee while the other side has none! And still not won!!! Jay ended up with a net +1 VP PLUS my melee combat pull was a time trigger!!!! It was just too awesome.

And can't you just picture that happening? Japanese troops running through heavy fire, streaming into hand to hand combat, being caught by surprise and deciding to kill themselves since that's the only way they can see to also kill the Americans? I could literally imagine that moment when someone looked inside of the bunker afterwards...

We haven't finished the game yet, and I still think I'm in pretty good shape to pull off the win, but holy moley that was a fun damned turn...

I so love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to spoil the party but isn't it, In case of a tie, both sides are eliminated unless one player began the melee in a bunker or pillbox, in which case only the other side is eliminated (19.2.3)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to ruin a good story with the facts, but
Quote:
Rule 19.2.3 Melee Result: Eliminate all units belonging to the side with the lower Melee Total. In case of a tie, both sides are eliminated unless one player began the melee in a bunker or pillbox, in which case only the other side is eliminated.

So the Americans were never eliminated...They must've snuck into one of the trap doors that the Japanese had made when they had previously owned the bunker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, Andrei, you type faster than I do. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Boardgamegeek equivalent of EZ sniper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:
I don't mean to ruin a good story with the facts, but
Quote:
Rule 19.2.3 Melee Result: Eliminate all units belonging to the side with the lower Melee Total. In case of a tie, both sides are eliminated unless one player began the melee in a bunker or pillbox, in which case only the other side is eliminated.

So the Americans were never eliminated...They must've snuck into one of the trap doors that the Japanese had made when they had previously owned the bunker!

Well, I think for the purposes of our game we're going to say the Americans never occupied the bunker then... I'll have to come up with another narrative of how the battle played out. I guess as the US was trying to position its flamethrower crew, Obata and his brave soldiers raced out of the smoke...

I also realize a mistake I made. I broke each unit with the ambush cards, but I could have broken Obata and eliminated a team, leaving one unbroken team and a broken Obata. That would have given the Japanes 6 Melee combat factors instead of 7.

Even so, I just love this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, am I misunderstanding, or do you play that the guy who plays the ambush cards gets to choose who is broken/eliminated?

I've always played that the owning player chooses which of his units to break/eliminate.

Great writeup !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Chris, am I misunderstanding, or do you play that the guy who plays the ambush cards gets to choose who is broken/eliminated?

I've always played that the owning player chooses which of his units to break/eliminate.

Great writeup !!

Of course, you are correct. I don't think I've ever played it wrong before. Lack of sleep I guess, but thanks for pointing that out to me so I don't mess it up in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
chicklewis wrote:

That is correct. And the primary reason why I play Ambush cards one at a time instead of all at once. That way the owning player has to decide who to break/eliminate while NOT knowing how many more Ambush cards are coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a damn exciting narrative, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't think it's too late to roll back to the melee. I do have the initiative card, and since losing this melee basically loses me the game, I'd certainly play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
So I don't think it's too late to roll back to the melee. I do have the initiative card, and since losing this melee basically loses me the game, I'd certainly play it.

Probably so, we can do that if you want. Either way is OK with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a helluva first game for Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.