Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen people posting that they use Liquitex BASICS Acrylic Paints thinned from the tube to paint miniatures. Anyone try Speedball acrylic paints?

http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Hue-Based-Acrylic-Paint/dp/B...

I have been using some artist tube acrylics, but some colors are toxic, Speedball claims to be toxic free aka cadmium and cobalt free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Apple Barrel kind from Walmart for 50 cents a bottle and it works fine... I can't imagine why a nice paint with finer pigmentation that's still acrylic could be bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aargh!!

I can't resist commenting when I haven't even used it. But if you are going to depend on basic colors only and do any mixing, recreating the same formula would be easier with liquid paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
You might find a better response if you ask in here....

Miniature Painters Guild

Personally I don't use them but thats because I haven't tried them. They might be excellent although you can find miniature specific paints either for a very similar price or with a lot more in the set.

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Warpaints-Starter-Paint/d...*

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Val72299-Color-Set-Introduction/d...*

(*other sets are available )

The Speedball acrylics are sold as student paints and as such will probably have a larger pigment than Army painter or Vallejo sets and will also need a lot of thinning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Aargh!!

I can't resist commenting when I haven't even used it. But if you are going to depend on basic colors only and do any mixing, recreating the same formula would be easier with liquid paint.

I prefer a limited palette like some acrylic painters. I try to get as close to magenta, cyan, primary yellow and mix colors. Some problems, cyan is impossible to find in cheap craft paint so I find myself buying tube paint.. I do use white, black. With black, I seldom use it, except when I get lazy, preferring to mix a sudo grey/black from complementary colors. I mix and store in between colors in paint pots from the basic colors, yeah, they are custom, eyeball matching colors, just gives them character.

Colors like silver, gold, any neon color,  I just buy, I am clueless on how to mix these, along with the earth colors which can be mixed but just better to have a tube/bottle of these. 

Payne's grey artist tube paint, middle grade, is something I buy, it makes a good catch all magic wash. A little Payne's grey goes a long way, very strong powerful color out of the tube.

This was  a switch  for me years ago when my daughter wanted water colors and I found out how much toxic crap they put in them to get those colors. They recalled what we purchased, they basically sold a set of paints to children that were full blown artist ingredients. Got a full refund, including shipping, told to throw them away. This was all out of the blue from the company selling them.

There is a reason why some artist use disposable gloves. My guess is craft paint is fairly safe, still I prefer the safer basic colors in artist paints and try to better a skill set rather then just dip into a bottle.

FYI,  www.anglowebs.com/courses/thetruth/tac.pdf
http://willkempartschool.com/how-to-choose-a-basic-acrylic-p...
You can buy a CMY color wheel which helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.