Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at the ratings, which are very good. But going in more depth there are SEVERAL "people" which used their account for only one reason: Coming here and giving this game a 10. This was the only action they take!

To me this looks like a promotion campaign to bring this game on the radar of as many people as possible. Of course I could be wrong but I have a bad feeling on this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amauri Silva Lima Filho
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sneuhauss wrote:
I have a bad feeling on this...

Now you have pointed it... I have a bad feeling, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true. Anyway, a game not yet out with few ratings, you can never rely on the average rating.
I've seen this for other games, too. (e.g. 1911 Amundsen vs Scott yet to a lesser extent)
If you're interested in the game, check the comments by experienced BGGlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amauri Silva Lima Filho
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
actaion wrote:
That's true. Anyway, a game not yet out with few ratings, you can never rely on the average rating.
I've seen this for other games, too. (e.g. 1911 Amundsen vs Scott yet to a lesser extent)
If you're interested in the game, check the comments by experienced BGGlers.

Thanks "Doge" Now we have a review and that's made me very happy
Peace,Amauri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never rely on just a few ratings imo. I played the game and thought it was a very interesting game. Not right up my alley, but would sure like to try it again..

Don't worry, the game is good. Don't really know where it would end up, because final components and such will influence it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kuprijanow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I am one of these rating dudes who were here before Green Deal showed up and yes, I gave it a high mark

The game is really good, I'm gonna write my own review soon enough.
It has been a very long way, but this is one that definitely has lots of replay value going for it - all built into a solid theme of sustainability (!)

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crensh3000ad wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I am one of these rating dudes who were here before Green Deal showed up and yes, I gave it a high mark

From your profile
http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Crensh3000ad
I see you've rated Green Deal a 9, but several other games a 10. I personally don't see any problem with that, and I don't think anyone would object to how you rate games.

I think the OP was (rightfully) annoyed by people who rate just a single game, and rate it a 10. Luckily, BGG takes care of this relatively common phenomenon by introducing the equivalent of a few hundred "average dummy votes" when computing rankings. So, again, no worries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crensh3000ad wrote:

It has been a very long way, but this is one that definitely has lots of replay value going for it - all built into a solid theme of sustainability (!)

Cheers!

I didn't say that any high ratings are promotional ratings. Your case is surely different, but people creating a profile, rating the game a 10 and leaving again not coming back is irritating me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kuprijanow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies. Of course, the dilemma here is that anything can easily be distorted by adding reviews of random people/beings on the net who appear on a certain board only for voting reasons. I fully agree with that issue.

I hope to alleviate it by adding my own review soon.
As far as I can remember, if you are a Berlin resident, you can come and play-test Green Deal, as it's played often enough at different board game locations. Just ask Juma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sneuhauss wrote:
Crensh3000ad wrote:

Cheers!

I didn't say that any high ratings are promotional ratings. Your case is surely different, but people creating a profile, rating the game a 10 and leaving again not coming back is irritating me...

The problem I have comes with the quality of the ratings of most of the "people" who rated the game a 10 or 9: They don't seem to be experienced gamers at all. At least they ALL where really lazy when it comes to explaining their opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it looks like some of the study friends of the author were doing him a favour. If encouraged or because of a certain event at the university about the game i don't know. I met Juma in Essen at the booth but didn't know about the ratings, otherwise i would have asked him about this. Maybe he can clarify this up, now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate it, when you cant trust the ratings. One thing is people loving strange games, its another thing to do fake ratings. angrygulpshake

This is not a new problem. When in doubt, use the GeekBuddy Analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
To me it looks like some of the study friends of the author were doing him a favour. If encouraged or because of a certain event at the university about the game i don't know. I met Juma in Essen at the booth but didn't know about the ratings, otherwise i would have asked him about this. Maybe he can clarify this up, now?

No university event involved
In Germany we don't have reviewers who do previews for crowdfunding campaigns. So the only way to give people a bit more objective idea of the game is by having some feedback from playtesters. I had many playtesters (several hundred) because I tested the game very intensively for 3 years. Some playtesters I knew but many I didn't (I tested in public board game clubs in Germany and The Netherlands). So I asked the playtesters to leave their HONEST opinion (I really used this exact word, "honest"). Those, who did, probably did so because they liked the game. We all are more inclined to rate games we like. So this may lead to a certain bias because few playtesters who didnt like the game rated it (for the record, 2 playtesters did: one "3" and one "5"), although I asked all playtesters to leave an opinion, even those whom I knew didnt like the game. Secondly, some may not be so familiar with BGG and that 10s are rarely given, so the magnitude of their rating may seem high to others. But I still believe that those who rated high really liked the game (otherwise many of them wouldn't have bought the game, I guess). Even if they only rated this game, it does not prove that their rating is fake. They may have liked the game, pledged and hoped the crowdfunding would make it. So they have an interest in sharing their positive opinion about the game.

So when BGG Users claimed the ratings are fake, I thought about asking the BGG Users with high ratings to detract their ratings. But then I thought that this would be stupid because 1. I didn't tell them what rating they should give and 2. such a move would actually be manipulative (as it is rating low without having played the game). So some people may find it wrong to ask playtesters to leave feedback but I think this is totally legitimate, many playtesters probably wouldn't even think that they can leave feedback on BGG or other forums at such an early stage of a game (prior crowdfunding).

Anyways, I think now there are enough ratings, written and video reviews out there so the sceptics can base their opinion on a stronger basis or just play the game themselves.

You asked me for clarification so here you are, Merry Christmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation (and Geekmail). And good luck with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Innovatormentor"]
Quote:

You asked me for clarification so here you are, Merry Christmas

Hi Juma,
just saw this ;-).
Well explained clarification. Thanks for your reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
By the way Tom Vasel and Fathergeek love Green Deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUq7voXzmW8

http://fathergeek.com/green-deal/

Maybe this helps you to understand the very positive early ratings ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.