Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few crises that, when the skill check is failed (or not attempted at all), give the human players Treachery. For the longest time, these puzzled me - after all, it's not like you're forced to play treachery if you have it, so the failed crisis would be kind of a non-issue (there's the fact that you have to discard a few non-treachery cards when those crises happen, but that's not the point).
Last evening, though, I happened to think about them a bit, and realized one consequence - if there are unrevealed Cylons around, they can freely spike, since everyone has treachery and there's absolutely no way to tell who played theirs. Since I hardly ever get to play a cylon (see my profile overtext), I don't have any experience with how significant this is in practice, though. So, friends Cylons, what are your thoughts - is everyone drawing treachery a significant punishment, or is it really a non-issue like I originally thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you are posting in Daybreak, so I will ignore the Pegasus Treachery analysis. Everyone drawing treachery is not the harshest punishment out there.

1. Humans don't have to play them if they don't want to, and can discard it at will.

2. Humans can use treachery effects like Violent Outbursts, Personal Vices, and Exploit a Weakness to punish Cylons that haven't yet revealed. This is an extremely effective way to brig them.

3. At Any Cost from Pegasus is amazing late game. Humans can use these with their large Treachery hands to pass skill checks without playing any actual good cards.

Bait and Dradis Contact subvert everything above. They are real pains sometimes. Playing them into checks is annoying, but it doesn't damn you as a Cylon. It's usually safer to avoid Mutiny.

As you say, spreading treachery around gives hidden Cylons some deniability. Treachery as a whole is naturally better for Cylons, so when those effects give them treachery, that's the real hazard, and the main threat of those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
There are quite a few crises that, when the skill check is failed (or not attempted at all), give the human players Treachery. For the longest time, these puzzled me - after all, it's not like you're forced to play treachery if you have it, so the failed crisis would be kind of a non-issue (there's the fact that you have to discard a few non-treachery cards when those crises happen, but that's not the point).
Last evening, though, I happened to think about them a bit, and realized one consequence - if there are unrevealed Cylons around, they can freely spike, since everyone has treachery and there's absolutely no way to tell who played theirs. Since I hardly ever get to play a cylon (see my profile overtext), I don't have any experience with how significant this is in practice, though. So, friends Cylons, what are your thoughts - is everyone drawing treachery a significant punishment, or is it really a non-issue like I originally thought?

It's not super horrible, but it's hardly negligible.

First off, according to my spreadsheet, I'm seeing all of the "each player draws x Treachery" to all be in Pegasus, so it seems Daybreak Alone won't cut it as far as crisis cards go. The plus side for cylons here is that these crisis cards also allow revealed cylons to draw Treachery too. While Daybreak crisis cards have Treachery draws, they're only for current player or title card holders. No "all players" type of thing.

On the Day side, 3 - Personal Vices does have each human player draw a Treachery, but it does say "human player" specifically.

The main issue with humans having Treachery is if you're over your hand limit and need to discard, you can't discard the 0s, unless you want to take a Mcard. OTOH, putting out 2 raiders has been a way to stall the CFB part of Exodus. Bait can be pretty deadly if a cylon or circumstances otherwise sets up a bunch of raiders in the rear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.