War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hidden Action Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone tried playing with hidden action dice? It would be interesting to see how the game played if the two sides were unaware of the other side's capabilities and might reduce the complaints of many players about rolling to many eyes and such. It would require trust of course (or a special setting in the client!). I'm not sure if it would be thematic for the number of eyes to be hidden however, any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea. Personally I think it will create more problems then it will fix and possibly give more power to the shadow (e.g. free players not been able to tell if a FPMV attempt is likely to work).

However I think it would be fun to play and would also create it's own new tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally enjoy the tension of the action dice rolls. However, this would be a good lead-in for designing some nice Free and Shadow dice towers!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the learning curve on the dice. Learning to watch what they have so you can make a power move and running scared. A lot of die strategy just because you can wait for those oppurtunities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, though it does sound like it would work to the Shadow's advantage.

I think the simplest mechanism for keeping folks honest would be to roll dice behind a screen and immediately take a snapshot on your smartphone, then confirm your spent action dice matched the photo at the end of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Hm, given the general consensus that it would make the FPMV harder and the Shadow's life easier- though the Day without Dawn would be a gamble unless the FP player was peeking in Galadriel's mirror!- then if I try this variant I'll add a minor nerf to the Shadow player too, like making the S&E reinforcement pool limited. Taking photos could be saved for that 6 WotW roll that you're sure the other guy won't swallow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.