Subject: Commander 2013 only - worth it ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

We're familiar with MtG, almost everybody in my gaming group got addicted at some point. My buddies tend to avoid MtG nowadays cause it's so cash&time consuming($ is obvious, about time U must check visual spoilers, deck lists, thousand of published cards).

To the point - is it worth to buy those 5 commander decks (LOVE the idea of 1 copy per deck) ?
Is it enough variety to play only with it for a longer period of time ? More importantly R those decks balanced ? (already read that mind size sucks despite of its pricey rares).

More than that - do those decks look like typical EDH format decks ? Or this was only some promotion hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, commander is one of my favorite formats, and something I've been playing for years.

Secondly, the appeal of the commander preconstructed decks to one such as myself includes but not limited to:

(1) New commanders, because I know eventually, I'm going to build another deck.
(2) Commander-exclusive cards. Cards that are good in multiplayer, and only available in these boxes.
(3) Reprints - the cards in the decks are worth considering. To upgrade/make changes to my existing decks, or again for new decks.

I view the preconstructed decks as a good starting point for players new to the format. My opinion is that they are of roughly the same power-level or tempo, but not specifically designed to be played against each-other (like duel decks are).

Most typical EDH format decks are a lot finer tuned that the precons. The precons are usually only built to take advantage of 1 of the 3 possible commanders, and have some mediocre card choices to accomplish this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dream_rpg wrote:

(...)

Most typical EDH format decks are a lot finer tuned that the precons. The precons are usually only built to take advantage of 1 of the 3 possible commanders, and have some mediocre card choices to accomplish this.

Ooh it sounds bad. Must think twice before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
dream_rpg wrote:

(...)

Ooh it sounds bad. Must think twice before buying.

I wouldn't, depending on your needs. If you plant to just own the five pre-cons and play them against each other, you should be good. All five decks are at approximately the same power level, so "some mediocre card choices" in each deck are balanced against each other overall.

On the other hand, bringing a C13 pre-con to a game where the other players built from scratch would probably result in them having better decks. However, it's all based on how you plan to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I understand that someone who buys rares from each and every edition & is into commander 4 a long time will have Much better deck. But hey this is 30$ suggested retail price per 100cards (don't know more expensive card set in any game) - I would expect imba OP cards in it, not mediocre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do actually get a lot of rares (about 30) in each of the precon decks, so there's pretty good value there. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of "good for Commander" rares that are ignored in other formats, so you can usually pick them up very cheap online. Plenty of dollar rares, for sure, but even 25 cent rares too. I'd say that Commander probably has the most personal style of construction out of all the different formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
Of course I understand that someone who buys rares from each and every edition & is into commander 4 a long time will have Much better deck. But hey this is 30$ suggested retail price per 100cards (don't know more expensive card set in any game) - I would expect imba OP cards in it, not mediocre.

A lot of online retailers are putting the 5-precon set on sale - I've seen it as the Daily Deal at both Miniature Market and CSI, and I believe wholesalegaming.biz. It's usually $100-$120 for the whole set.

Even if you want to end up branching out, the decks themselves have some Commander staples that you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No 25cents rares at mtg online shops in PL. Cheap (crap) rare is about 75cents, sth semiplayable is about 1.50$.

But I still do love to open boosters... that "junkie thrill" Next one is going 2 B Scavenging ooze , I can feel it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry, I don't understand the fundamental question. Are you asking if the current precon Commander decks are balanced against each other or if they are balanced against the fine tuned Commander decks that players have built?

I don't have much experience with Commander but it seems to be a very promising format for what you are looking for. I play my casual deck more or less like that. It is not 100-card deck, only 60 but I only use one copy of each card except basic lands.

The one of each card format is cool because since you only see a fraction of your deck each game, this alone makes the game play differently each time. Adding that to the variability that the opposition brings, this should add to replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think these decks are crazy fun. I play Commander with a couple of my friends and we each have at least one of these that we've tuned by replacing only 5-10 cards tops. Usually those are to smooth out the mana bases, or get rid of a card that makes zero sense in the deck. Considering many amazing replacements are available for under a dollar... I would strongly encourage casual players to pick these up. They are better than "Intro Decks" and have some very interesting interactions within.

However against "competitive" Commander players, as in any format, would take some serious upgrading to make them do well at a large tournament. But to be frank, those types of players are really only found at large GPs or other BIG events. If you're looking for tournament play at a local shop, I think you'd find many people using upgraded commander precons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both the Commander 2011 and Commander 2013 decks, and my group regularly plays with them. Everyone has a great time and we enjoy them very much. Every deck has the potential to do awesome things, and no particular deck seems to dominate.

The amount of replay-ability is excellent, making these decks a worthwhile investment for me. I would highly recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniƫl Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
No 25cents rares at mtg online shops in PL. Cheap (crap) rare is about 75cents, sth semiplayable is about 1.50$.

Look at www.maciccardmarket.eu. You can find cards a lot cheaper there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Personally I think these decks are crazy fun. I play Commander with a couple of my friends and we each have at least one of these that we've tuned by replacing only 5-10 cards tops. (...)

U made me buy this !

But in some mtg forums I see that rather 30 cards from each deck should be replaced ASAP

My next thread here will be expanding commander 2013 on the budget
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
stagger lee wrote:
Personally I think these decks are crazy fun. I play Commander with a couple of my friends and we each have at least one of these that we've tuned by replacing only 5-10 cards tops. (...)

U made me buy this !

But in some mtg forums I see that rather 30 cards from each deck should be replaced ASAP

My next thread here will be expanding commander 2013 on the budget

Glad you did! You will enjoy it!

However I would say that tuning the decks REALLY depends on how competitive the group is that you are playing with. I own Mind Seize and only swapped out 10-15 cards, including lands. Some cards just don't make a ton of sense with the theme of your deck, and can be replaced by some cooler options. For example I had to run Seizan Perverter of Truth, Teferi's Puzzle Box, Underworld Dreams, Howling Mine, and Time Reversal in that deck! All those cards are under $5 and really helped solidify what the deck is trying to do (I'm using Nekusar as my commander). Sure there are other fancier and more expensive things you can do... but why bother if I'm just playing with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put 'em to the test First of all decide which commander I like best (in each deck). There r some nice rares "designed" for commander, nb uses it in different formats so they're cheap. Sylvan Primordial I'm looking at U!. I'll need more ideas like it.

I can imagine that for some decks U must buy better stuff to make them balanced against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
Sylvan Primordial I'm looking at U!. I'll need more ideas like it.

...actually, this is banned in Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But as I read this is some gaming group who decides what to ban, not the publisher. Wonder how many players respect this banned list. Sylvan Primordial was suggested in some thread like "must buy after purchasing commander 2013" :/
That's a pity they cut such a great card.

If U R familiar with commander format give me some ideas of other non expensive cards being powerful in this format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
But as I read this is some gaming group who decides what to ban, not the publisher.

Wizards/DCI follows the Commander group's lead on this though, and because of Wizards' reinforcement the ban list has become almost uniformly respected (the exception being people who follow the French / DuelCommander list, which is aimed specifically at tournament head to head play with some rules modified for that format; and incidentally, by the duelcommander banlist, every WotC-published Commander deck to date is illegal).

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchen table play is house rules, like with any game. You just have to be ready to swap out some cards if you ever went to a shop that followed the banned list in a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Kitchen table play is house rules, like with any game. You just have to be ready to swap out some cards if you ever went to a shop that followed the banned list in a tournament.

I think even over most kitchen tables the expectation when playing Commander/EDH is that people are playing decks constructed to the Commander banlist unless a specific agreement is in place to disregard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shrimpgoblin wrote:
If U R familiar with commander format give me some ideas of other non expensive cards being powerful in this format.

There are literally thousands of answers to this question, dependent on deck color, deck strategy, and definition of non-expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/ar...

is it yours ?
Unfortunatelly most of these cards R really expensive or even unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That article is going on 5 years old.

The more up to date version is http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the cards in these lists are really good, they're also good in many different decks, so they don't really emphasize a particular strategy. That means they're probably going to be more expensive than narrower alternatives. (And narrow isn't necessarily a bad thing in Commander.) If you want to upgrade a deck, try to figure out what hole you're trying to fill in your deck and find something that fits while also leaning into your deck's strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must play more to decide what to buy. But the cardpool is overwhelming. Fortunatelly it seems like (most of) useful cards were reprinted 3 times or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.