Popular Tags: [View All]
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing this to Magic the Gathering. Are they similar, but this is just a smaller version? I am really enjoying it. I don't think I've ever had such an incessantly willing partner to play two player duel games with. Any hour of the day I can fire it up. And continue the hunt for new cards. I could get used to this.

Since I have found it I've been logging a lot less time in Clash of Clans and Boom Beach. I predict they will eventually top the earnings list on the apple ios store. So far they are 11th.

If playing World of Warcraft was like this. I'd sign up...

I'll play it more but this is definitely going on my board game rankings list. It is a pvp board game. In digital form. And it never feels like a digital version of a board game. I can't stand those, never play them, and I own a few of them. It would easily make my top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on a high for awhile also in beta. My son turned me on to it and I had a blast for a few weeks. The more I played, though, the more I ran into that Blizzard scourge: the other guy.

I started to experience real power creep and just downright silly behavior. The worst was people just stalling to get you to quit. At the time, you still got xp and for a win like this and could satisfy quests...don't know if they fixed it.

The levels were also a bit off. Any character can throw any card you have in your collection in their deck. So, you could have one toon grind for legendarys and then you newly minted level 1 can start using them.

So, he wasn't really a level 1.

This was all in constructed, though.

The best way to play seemed to be Arena and, of course, they were charging for that. I found drafting to be a ton of fun and winning enough covered the cost of entry.

I just found that a bit too time consuming for me. My son is still playing, though, and he loves it.

I just wish the constructed was a bit more balanced, but hey, it's free and I still pop on there now and again for a quick match.

You're right that it is a cool game. I think it certainly offers enough for someone to make it a lifestyle game and chase legendary cards and find stiff competition.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since it came out for the iPad in Canada, so it's been a couple of weeks now, and it has become my favourite game on my iPad. I still dabble with SolForge, but Hearthstone feels much better balanced and less luck dependant. I have a couple of Rares that I use, and I regularly beat decks full of Epics and Legendaries by, if I may be slightly immodest, skillful play. There is definitely still luck as there inherently is in a card game, but the matches are so quick that it never bothers me too much.

It isn't the greatest game I've ever played, but it's fun, and that's what counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
darkestoceans wrote:
Comparing this to Magic the Gathering. Are they similar, but this is just a smaller version?
Hearthstone is basically a dumbed-down version of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved it to start but quickly drew tired of it. There's simply not enough card diversity in the game despite their being 9 characters to deal with. Match making leaves a lot to be desired but that might be part of the limited payer base. As pointed out, I had a deck with 10 of the basic cards in it going against someone with a 20 point casting cost card in their deck among other things. The F2P and CCG aspect will rear its head at some point. Card draw is hugely important as is deck building. If you want to play it for free or low cost, you are going to be grinding. It honestly made me want to play a LCG so it helped pushed me towards getting Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to just logon do a few matches for your dailies and logoff.

Don't play more than three or four games at a time.

I played this like crazy through beta and have almost all cards now, from earned gold. Now I log every other day or so and paly while eating a sandwich. MUUUUUCH more relaxed.

Too much play really kills this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As pointed out, I had a deck with 10 of the basic cards in it going against someone with a 20 point casting cost card in their deck among other things.

This thread made me log back on for a few games. First few were evenly matched and I won one and lost two.

Then I played my level 8 Mage...not bad until the other guy dropped the legendary that does random 8 damage. I haven't played enough for legendary (or for all my class basics), so that was game.

I am a big fan of Magic and always point out in threads that the tiers in Magic make the game quite fair. Vintage and Legacy bring a different challenge than Standard, so you know what your are in for and choose accordingly.

Casual play in Hearthstone in a rough go, though, because any card can be added to any deck. There is no restricted or banned list.

Yea, the games go fast so it is no big deal...unless you run into mismatches multiple times in a row.

Hell, my 12-year old just schooled me on my level 12 pally...he was playing a "Everyone has a Beard Deck." He grinds and has some awesome cards, so it was no contest. My daughter just laughed at me as I went down to screams of, "Lerooooyyyyyyy Jenkins" from two rooms away. (He is a Legendary in Hearthstone...awesome touch by Blizzard.)

Certainly a fun game, but casual play can be frustrating. I don't think the game really supports it.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play in casual mode. It's full of veterans playing their non-primary class. Play in ranked mode even if you're new. You should quickly hit a rank where your skill is even with everyone else and then have good matches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
darkestoceans wrote:
Comparing this to Magic the Gathering. Are they similar, but this is just a smaller version?
Hearthstone is basically a dumbed-down version of Magic.

I agree but it's not so much "dumbed down" as "optimized for online." No instants or interrupts, pretty much all abilities are of the "comes into play" variety, attacker chooses targets etc etc.. Every design choice is about making online matches fast.

Not to mention the most obvious design difference - how creature focused it is.

There's some really good, compelling graphic design too - the cards feel weighty and so on. And online chat is restricted to make it a friendlier game. It's all really well designed IMO and deserving of its success.

The only issue is there's not much game there. When you boil it down it's just a you go I go creature bash. It lacks the multidimensionality of magic. I saw in a forum people were talking about aggro vs combo vs control and I had to lol, as a recovering Blue player... How can you have control with no interrupts no global enchants and no mana denial?

IMHO this game is not magic dumbed down its more like Magic All Aggro All The Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Casual play in Hearthstone in a rough go, though, because any card can be added to any deck. There is no restricted or banned list.

Which also hits my point of how decks can feel very samey despite the 9 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How can you have control with no interrupts no global enchants and no mana denial?

As you say, it pretty much all comes from creatures.

I think it is much more toned- down than magic. There are some secret spells, for example, that ding your opponents creature upon casting. This is sort of like a counterspell.

There is also wicked ramp in the form of some creatures...you get so far ahead of the curve that it seems like aggro, but there is also a bit of control in that you can just wipe his board if you need to.

I played Blue back in the day (mid 90's), so I know where you are coming from. Still, there is a bit more than aggro here. The confusing bit is that most of the control/denial comes from the abilities of the creatures, so aggro is built in.

It is certainly more than "cast 8/8....beat face." It isn't as varied or, dare I say, sophisticated, as MtG, but the subtle choices are there.

Indeed, with the Shaman, there is a positional element also, so you have ssome nuances.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for a bit but I prefer playing the MtG app on my iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
natsean wrote:

Which also hits my point of how decks can feel very samey despite the 9 characters.

That's not entirely correct. From what I can tell, each character has 15 cards that are unique to that character.

Seeing as each deck is made up of 30 cards and you can have 2 of each card, if you only used character specific cards each deck would be completely unique, wouldn't it? I doubt it would be competive, but there is variety between the classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it, felt the treadmill kick in and quickly deleted it. If someone can explain what the point of the game is, I'd maybe give it another go. And I mean beyond "play a game, win gold, improve rank, ocassionally get a new card rinse and repeat". How boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
You really need to just logon do a few matches for your dailies and logoff.

Don't play more than three or four games at a time.

I decided to play ranked matches to get my two wins for two daily rewards.

Game 1: Fairly even and typical match. 1-0.
Game 2: Another ranked 25 opponent. Close to a point, but they were definitely going to win the match as they always felt like they had the upper hand. 1-1.
Game 3: Rematch. I started quick to give me hope. That hope quickly went away and it ended even more one sided than the previous match. 1-2.
Game 4: Ranked 23. Outcome was never in doubt. 1-3.
Game 5: Ranked 20. Let's just say it ended with a 22/22 creature coming my way.
Game 6: Ranked 25. It was clear they built a deck to test it out and were going to instantly delete that deck afterwards. 30-0, me. 2-4.

Impressions. I had less and less desire to play as I went on. The number of Priests I played against and that freaking combo of doubling a creature's health only to then give them an attack rating equal to their health got really really old.

Relax wrote:
matthean wrote:
natsean wrote:

That's not entirely correct. From what I can tell, each character has 15 cards that are unique to that character.

Seeing as each deck is made up of 30 cards and you can have 2 of each card, if you only used character specific cards each deck would be completely unique, wouldn't it? I doubt it would be competive, but there is variety between the classes.

But you aren't getting an undead, demon, etc. deck that pulls off a theme. Yes, there is some separation, but there are numerous decks that use the frog type creatures or other similar ones. Once you get past the class specific ones, it is a rather mundane list of creatures. It is rather common for the Priest to summon a huge demon. shake

I'll agree with the others that is Magic reduced down to a level I don't think I can take much more. I want to like it. Really badly in fact. It just feels like two people clubbing each other over their heads and then somebody going, "I won."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded this on Thursday night. I've played primarily in "practice" mode in an attempt to get access to the other characters and to build up my character decks, but have played a few games in "Play" mode against others (no Arena battles yet) to complete quests.

My mage is level 10 (thanks primarily to the tutorial battles); I also have built up my warrior and rogue a bit. I have not played the M:tG app; I know that game enough so that I can understand the comments about the lack of card variety though.

I've enjoyed the game so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
... Game 5: Ranked 20. Let's just say it ended with a 22/22 creature coming my way...

... Impressions. I had less and less desire to play as I went on. The number of Priests I played against and that freaking combo of doubling a creature's health only to then give them an attack rating equal to their health got really really old.

Ouch! Is Anduin really that overpowered? I haven't started working on him yet (still level 1 for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding "stalling", there is a turn timer which prevents this (the timer gets shorter each turn if you run it out, to prevent huge stalling from a player going AFK)

If you had a problem with stalling in beta, it probably was not intentional abuse - the game had common issue with freezes in beta, and these freezes would even stop the stall timer from going. When this happens, the UI was still responsive, but no action could actually be taken, including ending your turn. Your opponent was likely just as frustrated as you were.

Regarding legendaries, you don't win just by having a bunch of them. They aren't really better than other cards of the same cost, just different and more rare.

I don't think there is any problem with "power creep" in this game. Universally, there is no case where one card is strictly better than another, with the exception that class cards are often strictly better than specific neutrals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Played it, felt the treadmill kick in and quickly deleted it. If someone can explain what the point of the game is, I'd maybe give it another go. And I mean beyond "play a game, win gold, improve rank, ocassionally get a new card rinse and repeat". How boring.

A single player campaign is coming, but not here yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is OK.

I have all the guys at level 16-22.

Its sometimes really fun. It's sometimes too much.

The characters feel WAY different from each other.

Very little Power Creep. One of my decks has only 1 rare in it. You play the Legendaries because they're cool.

It is NOT Magic, and I'm happy with the things it does that a physical game could not, like 'dupe a random card in the player's deck'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coopasonic wrote:
skyzero wrote:

A single player campaign is coming, but not here yet.

Now that would be interesting and I'd definitely give it another go to play the campaign. Season rankings that reset themselves every month and quests for gold just aren't that compelling to me. Gameplay aside, the game is a work of art on the IOS. Hopefully the campaign adds flavor for those not wanting to jump into the competitive grind of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a few matches a day (usually the daily quest). I have played since closed beta, but I'm still bad. I'm stuck at ranks 19 and 20 and I lose about half of my games.

I still enjoy it. But I can tell you, you don't win by having the best cards (I have a lot of cards). It really is about the kind of deck you put together, how you play it, and quite a bit of luck as well.

I was uneasy with the CCG micro transaction model, but I have been satisfied with this one. You can unlock everything using in-game currency within a few months, and I don't get the feeling that I have to unlock everything to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
matthean wrote:
... Game 5: Ranked 20. Let's just say it ended with a 22/22 creature coming my way...

... Impressions. I had less and less desire to play as I went on. The number of Priests I played against and that freaking combo of doubling a creature's health only to then give them an attack rating equal to their health got really really old.

Ouch! Is Anduin really that overpowered? I haven't started working on him yet (still level 1 for me).

He's more annoying and prone to longer games, but generally he hasn't stood out in terms of being overpowered. I think he is one of the slower ones to get going, but you just don't want him to get going. I was playing my mage so I could turn a creature into a 1/1 sheep and used that on some of his powered up guys, but I felt like I had to hold that card or get it to deal with that specific situation. There are other cards to deal with that situation, but I'm not sure if a mage has access to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you had a problem with stalling in beta, it probably was not intentional abuse - the game had common issue with freezes in beta, and these freezes would even stop the stall timer from going. When this happens, the UI was still responsive, but no action could actually be taken, including ending your turn. Your opponent was likely just as frustrated as you were.

My side never froze like that. I could see the other guy fiddling with his cards. He would go when the rope started going, but you still had to wait. It was quite frustrating.

Plus, it was all over the forums that people were doing it. They treated it like an exploit for easy xp.

I'm not saying there weren't the technical issues you mentioned, but there were also asshats abusing the system and bragging about it.

So, some of it was absolutely intentional.

Quote:
Regarding legendaries, you don't win just by having a bunch of them. They aren't really better than other cards of the same cost, just different and more rare.

Sure, you still have to pilot the deck, but they can be gamechangers by themselves when they drop. This is especially true if you are playing a low level guy against someone that has access to many more cards.

Level really doesn't mean much when any toon can gather any card and give it to any other toon.

Quote:
I don't think there is any problem with "power creep" in this game. Universally, there is no case where one card is strictly better than another, with the exception that class cards are often strictly better than specific neutrals.

Maybe I used the wrong term by saying "power creep." As I said above, I was referring to the absence of a restricted/banned list for certain tiers.

My son and I both have, for example, level 12 toons. However, he has played so much more than me that his level 12 has access to legendarys and more powerful cards than I do.

Of course he should get something for the effort and time he has put into building his collection, but I feel as if I am taking on his Vintage deck with my Pauper deck.

The levels really aren't congruent at all when it is all about your card pool.

I still think it is a fun game and Arena is a real blast. The pick-up games can be rough, though, when you see a guy of the same level but with, what I would consider, to be strictly better cards...or at least more to choose from.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smooth interface, nice effects.
Gameplay is more similar to WoW CCG than Magic; easy to grasp and very intuitive.
I'm playing since Closed Beta and I'm starting to feel the desperate need to have MOAR CARDS! Card pool is very limited at the moment, but I see room for improvements.

PS: the "basic" Priest and Mage deck are the best to level up and gain the first extra cards!

PPS: Arena is a nice touch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.