Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just ended our 3rd game of SotE and it looks like luck of the draw (layout) is quite strong in this game.

My gf played Isabella (cancel action that targets the DP) and started the game. I played Bonifatius (remove 3 tokens from character in conflict). She was able to influence Gunter (remove tokens from a character in conflict) straight away in her 1st round and stayed starting player for the 2nd.

All she had to do from then on was taking control of the DP and negate my attempts to influence him. First by rotating my leader with the DP, then countering my DP influence with Gunter. The fact that Hans was diverging from my leader & helped her reset hers by the 3rd round didn't help either. As controlling the DP is one of the win conditions, all she had to do is getting her tokens out. I was able to swap, rotate (non-religous), remove influence tokens, subdue (diverging only), but had nothing to go against her control of the DP (only against some of her other characters). As conflicts didn't bother her for a DP win, she could easily prevent me from winning.

It's a quick (and beautiful) game, but the cards have to line up in a certain way to have a chance. After this session we tried to find a way that I could have won, but we couldn't find one. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Giannios
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Bernhard, the starting layout is pretty much important and not as indicative as how the game will unfold.
Why I am saying this.
Anyone has a chance to win the game without controlling the Distinct Personality and when Duchess Isabella is involved into the match, the DP is quite hard to cling on to.
Also remember that a rotated Leader can perform the Influence action in contrast to the other characters.
You can also put tokens on diverging characters by performing abilities.
All in all it's part of a player's strategy to "stay away" from potential risks (e.g. Influencing a character with less tokens when the opponent controls Lorraine).
I humbly thank you for your fine comments regarding the game and I wish you some happy "backstabbing" moments with your friends by playing it
Don't forget to go play the B and C versions of the game. The A is enough for 2-3 games to get you acquainted and later on you can go on and mix-matching!
Should you wish anything else regarding rules and so, I'd be more than happy to assist you!
Happy playing and lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Babis for your reply.

Every action against the DP was definitely wasted. We played the leader influence/ability actions correctly and the beautiful artwork really makes me want to like it.

With our setup (see below), I can't see how to get all tokens out before Isa as 2nd player (Ungorvast removed 2 tokens in round 2 which prevented me from winning) and get out of all conflicts (3rd round). I was able to counter 1 conflict (or none if the DP was used against Bonifatius). Gunter and Friedan were out of reach/in conflict so I couldn't get control of them and win. I'll give it another go at some stage...

SETUP:
Isa + Gunter(1), Friedan, Ungorvast (2.2; DP:2.1) + (reveal) Nestorius & Fergus, Brenna & Katrina

vs

Bonifatius + Melissa (1.1), Cayden (1.2), Serena + (reveal) Hans & Atech, Carminus & Augustin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.