Subject: General Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Hiller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all, I just picked up this game a week ago and had a few questions that I can't see to find the answers to in the rulebook.

1. Do you have to move the doom token once every round or only when a mythos card or other card instructs you to.

2. I had a mythos card (spreading sickness) that says "Place a health token on this card, then each investigator loses 1 health for each health token on this card". Does it mean each investigator places a health or just 1?

3. When you flip a card such as an exploration card do you just place it at the bottom of that deck or do you discard it ?

4. When you close a gate do you do anything aside from removing the gate itself from the board? Do you reuse that gate later on in the same game?

5. When it tells you to place an elder token in the omen circle and you later move the omen circle, I'm assuming you move the elder token with it?

6. Do monsters pose a threat even if you're not on the same space as them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only when instructed.

2. They are separate effects, taken one at a time. So, you first place 1 health token from the bank, not from a player, onto the card. Once that is complete, you count the number of health tokens on the card, and each investigator loses that many health.

3. Discarded, but I always put it on the bottom for easy housekeeping because there's no way you'll get through all of them.

4. The Gate is placed into a "Gate discard". Do NOT put it on the bottom, because if you have a long game, you will have to reshuffle it. No other effects take place. (Reference Guide, "Gate").

5. No. (This only comes up when playing against Azathoth.) The Eldritch token remains on the GREEN space, because according to his sheet, you must count the number of tokens on the GREEN space and advance Doom by that number. (Actually, it doesn't matter, and you can drag it along if you wish, as long as you remember to trigger it on the Green space).

6. Not directly, but beware of the monsters that have Reckoning effects that may harm you even if you're not on their space. Also, be sure to check monsters for the green "S" symbol that tells them to move elsewhere when spawned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You move the doom token when the omen track advances to a new symbol. In that case move it once for each gate on the board that matched the new moen symbol. You also move the doom token when instructed by a card effect.

2. You put one token on the card then count the number of tokens on the card. Each investigator loses one health for each token. The health loss is not added to the card.

3. I put them on the bottom of the deck.

4. Closed gates are placed in a separate pile. When the gate stack is empty shuffle the closed gates to form a new gate stack.

5. I assume you mean eldritch token when Azathoth is the GOO? In that case the tokens stay on the green symbol and do not move.

6. In general no, though some can move to you. Also monsters stacking up with Shub can cost you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you have to move the doom token once every round or only when a mythos card or other card instructs you to.

When instructed, or when omen advances, check the gates on the board. Each one that matches the omen symbol also advances doom by one.

2. I had a mythos card (spreading sickness) that says "Place a health token on this card, then each investigator loses 1 health for each health token on this card". Does it mean each investigator places a health or just 1?

The health token on the card comes from the reserve, not the players. Then after that, each investigator loses one health per token on the card.

3. When you flip a card such as an exploration card do you just place it at the bottom of that deck or do you discard it ?

Technically, they're discarded. But I've never seen the exploration deck depleted, so it doesn't make a lot of difference usually.

4. When you close a gate do you do anything aside from removing the gate itself from the board? Do you reuse that gate later on in the same game?

You just remove it from the board. That's plenty good, and quite valuable. If you run out of gates, you reshuffle the discarded ones and use them again.

5. When it tells you to place an elder token in the omen circle and you later move the omen circle, I'm assuming you move the elder token with it?

No, the token stays put. Every time the omen circle gets back to the space the token is on, you do whatever the instructions are-- assuming Azathoth is the ancient one, that means that doom advances by one, in addition to any doom advances for having gates matching the omen symbol.

6. Do monsters pose a threat even if you're not on the same space as them?

Only if they have a reckoning symbol on them, then you do whatever the back of the monster says every time reckoning comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hiller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Snypervash wrote:
Hello all, I just picked up this game a week ago and had a few questions that I can't see to find the answers to in the rulebook.

So I don't add 1 health every round, I just place 1 health token and that's it? It's just 1 health every reckoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:

Technically, they're discarded. But I've never seen the exploration deck depleted, so it doesn't make a lot of difference usually.

While yes the expedition deck will not likely run out (except in the case of a certain rumor) the point I need to make is that for ALL of the encounter decks you will need to have discard piles and many times you will run out of things like the general or location specific. Then you will need to reshuffle them and have the decks ready. For double-sided cards- the rules say to reshuffle every time one is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hiller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool, thanks everyone! I had to stop mid-play and put everything away. I'm trying not to get discourage due to all the rules. I have the main grasp but it seemed there were some things that were not explained (or I overlooked them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to look at the Reference Guide if you get stuck! It will help in most cases, and has information not found in the Rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snypervash wrote:
So I don't add 1 health every round, I just place 1 health token and that's it? It's just 1 health every reckoning.

Reckoning 1, you place one token on the card. There's one token on the card, so everyone loses one health. Reckoning 2, you place another token on the card. There are two tokens on the card, so everyone loses two health.

A friend showed me a trick to reducing the clutter from decks/discard piles: When you discard an Encounter card, put it face up on the bottom of that deck. When you get to the face-up cards, reshuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snypervash wrote:

There are many effects that trigger the advancing of Doom, but turn advancement isn't one of them. Mythos is your countdown timer in EH, not Doom.

Quote:
It's a shame that FFG chose to use the thematic Health token, rather than the generic Eldritch token that the game uses in almost every other situation. You might have been less confused if they had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.