Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be a great series! All the designs are complete for 3 games and one supplement. A lot of interesting matchups will come out of this series from the 200 scenarios.

First with Pusan Perimeter, 48 scenarios.

Counter Attack and the Drive North, 62 scenarios.

Chinese Intervention, 65 scenarios.

Supplement adding more nationalities, 25 scenarios.

So Pusan Perimeter is just about back from the printers as my understanding and will be a great game to start off this mini series within the Panzer Grenadier series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, Jay, that's a seriously impressive amount of scenario design! Can't wait to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank Guy! Your fantastic maps sure helps in making gamers want to play them as well.

I resubmitted my last touched up design version of the complete Korean War Saturday night. I know it will take awhile for AP to produce all of them but something to look forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if we could just get someone at APL to re-think their cover-art strategy...this new direction is really not doing much to sell the games.

[/marketing hat]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Send AP an email. I tried to give them some cool Korean War pictures but because they were black & white they were a no go.

I am not an artist so I am happy with whatever box cover they come up with.

I take it you aren't happy with the recent box covers Xander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Townsend wrote:
I take it you aren't happy with the recent box covers Xander?

They are a little...uninspiring, I gotta say.

Particularly compared to their earlier work - I think the cover of GWaS: Med (2nd ed, 1st printing) is a particularly high note for APL, as were many of the covers from that period of the company ('1904-1905'/'Navy Plan Orange'/'Navy Plan Black'/etc).

...it just did a much better job selling the game. Having a common element across all the titles (the ribbon down the left side) also helped tie the titles together as 'belonging to the same series'.

Just one of those things, I guess, one notices given a lot of work in marketing fields. The current covers...kinda look cheap. Like someone just took a period photo or painting, and created a new text layer over it to type out a few words. No 'branding' going on - not a consistent style, type of image, structure of cover, heck not even a consistent font.

Seems like a missed opportunity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am more concerned with what is I the box than the cover but I see your point of view. I really don't mind the current box covers but either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Townsend wrote:
I am more concerned with what is I the box than the cover but I see your point of view. I really don't mind the current box covers but either way.

What's in the box is definitely important, for sure. And your work, and Guy's maps, are definitely worth serious attention!

But people do judge a product by its cover, and APL's covers, lately, have been really letting down the work you guys are doing to keep their products relevant in the market.

At least...with the marketing hat this particular marketer is wearing. (But, hell, I was introduced to Avalanche Press in the *first* place by a boardgame store in a Portland mall - not one that would stock games with the current covers we are seeing - and I've spent thousands of dollars on APL products in the decade or so since, so...there is something to that...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Doubt Xander, your opinion is valued. Why don't you send AP/Mike an email with your concerns. Nothing wrong with trying to make products better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul hixon
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking forward to this series Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul, I am thinking the game should be released next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A month down the road and keeping fingers crossed. Having been stationed in Korea in the 70s, anything of the Korean War is big on my must-have list. Looking forward vary much. Thanks for all your work, Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, it looks like next week or the week after for Pusan to start shipping and in August the second game, Counterattack should be announced hopefully for pre-order as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding! I met the one long-standing gaming buddy while stationed there 76-77 and hope to break him in to AP games with this. For now, I'm enjoying Saipan and starting to look at Marianas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.