Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Reznicek
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Pit growing up as a kid in the 80s. The four of us, my parents/sister/and I, are all type A personalities. Pit is a great game for loud and in charge personalities. A few years ago my mom graciously gave me her 1973 version with the hilarious 70s family and the awesome orange bell for our family to enjoy. Well my wife is a type B personality. She does not love Pit. My six kids are kids however, so they LOVE the loud and crazy game of pit! She usually hangs out in another room while we play.

The other day I had picked up an automatic card shuffler from the Goodwill and wanted to play a card game to test it out. I asked my kids what card game they wanted to play and they chose Pit to my satisfaction. We pulled out the card and I opened up the card shuffler. They thought it was the coolest gadget ever and everyone wanted a turn at using the shuffler.

There were 5 of us playing: Chad, Tim, Calli, Tiffany and Chloe. We ended up playing 5 games. Round one was won by Calli with Wheat. Round two by my youngest playing, Chloe, with Corn - much to the chagrin of the older kids. They had been complaining about her holding back cards, but hey, she won! Round 3 and 4 both went to me with Rye and Oats, and I had the Bull with Oats. Round 5 went to Tim with Barley. Everyone had a super time. Surprisingly my wife even stayed in the same room, playing Memory with my two youngest!

This is kind of a double report because in addition to session report on Pit I also want to get a report/review on the card shuffler. It was a inexpensive card shuffler by Cardinal. I was happy to have picked it up used for only $0.99, but it's the same basic shuffler you see all over. I'd read comments from lots of people who thought the shufflers might bend, rip, or wear out cards. However no posts I read seemed to be from people actually using one themselves. When I got it I ran some cheap standard cards through it and they seemed perfectly fine. When we played Pit we ran the cards through 2x to make sure they were thoroughly mixed. So after 12-20 operations I have nothing but good things to say about the shuffler. No cards were bent or damaged. I saw no wear marks on the cards. I suppose if you used it on a particular card 200-300 times you might get some wear, but I'm not worried about that happening. I don't think I'd use it for a deck building game like Dominion where you are constantly shuffling. But for a card game where this is one deck that needs to be shuffled every 5-10 minutes - and especially where the proper/improper shuffling might results in complaints from other players - I would recommend it. I am really looking forward to using it in a game of Ticket to ride. I have often been accused of not mixing the cards up well enough in that game. No longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is always a game that my nephews and nieces and brothers enjoy pulling out and playing...the wives generally hang out upstairs when we play Played a nine player game of it yesterday at our get together and everyone had a blast as usual...I do wonder just how loud it is upstairs...there isn't much insulation between the basement and the ground floor...

Holding back cards is always an issue when playing with younger kids, but its just something I know is going to happen going in and I try to figure out in the game what seems to be going around and might be worth collecting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent years trying to find a version of this with the bell, was really happy when I finally did. Just isn't the same without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatonastick wrote:
I spent years trying to find a version of this with the bell, was really happy when I finally did. Just isn't the same without it.

Love the bell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.