City of Remnants» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yellow Gang Infinite Draw Again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Death Ape Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Guys,

At the start of the turn it seemed like I could infinitely use disciples and rally the people to get ARCS, is there any limit to how many times you can discard and then draw cards (i.e., I discard rally and disciple a number of times and then when I need new cards to draw I end up getting them again)? This seemed to be an out of hand mechanic in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but it's not an infinite draw because you're discarding the cards into the discard pile. The discard pile doesn't cycled back into the draw pile unless you take an action do do it.

But you do have the right idea for how the humans (yellow) play. They can easily get their entire deck into their hands.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Shoop
United States
Spring Hill
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could cycle through your whole deck once, but you don't shuffle your discard pile if you have to draw.

Thematically, your deck represents your gang. If you play all your cards it means you've given orders to all of your crew/used your equipment/etc. To shuffle your discard pile you have to take the refresh action. That represents your gang getting organized again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Ape Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for the response. We hadn't realized that the Refresh action was a necessary condition for shuffling the discard into the draw pile! Woops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Molesworth
Australia
Glenhaven
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Thanks for clarifying that.

I got hammered last night by a green faction opponent (illegally) setting up an infinite loop with draw/gamble cards - then converting his endless supply of ARCs to take all the remaining 150 Renown token in one buy.

So now I can demand a rematch with confidence knowing that the discard pile doesn't get shuffled back in until a Refresh/Reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Webb
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It actually isn't if you get your hands on a Communication Device. You also should pretty much always be able to get enough Recruiters into your hand early game to snatch up the people you really want. This is what my deck looked like when I pulled this off:

1x Ret
1x Bross
1x Odin
3x Thief
3x Disciple
3x Rally the People
3x Thieves' Tools
1x Communication Device

I used the three Recruiters early game to snatch up the Thieves, Bross, and Odin. I used the money from Rally the People (and whatever else later on) to snatch up Thieves' Tools whenever they popped up. Then I bought a Communication Device and started picking fights. If I won, great. If I lost, I made sure I used a Recruiter so I could get them out of my deck. Through money making and recruiting, I managed to get my influence up to six. The fights got me the last influence. From there, I was drawing seven cards. The "worst" hand I could draw as far as drawing cards was concerned would have looked like this:

1x Ret
1x Bross
1x Odin
1x Communication Device
3x Other Cards

With every other card in the deck allowing me to draw more cards, I could draw and play the rest of my deck. Once I ran out, I used the Communication Device to take a Disciple out of the discard pile and then shuffle my discard pile (including the Communication Device) into my draw pile. Play Disciple, draw two cards, both cards allow drawing more cards, rinse and repeat. From here you can just make arbitrarily large sums of money (yes, saying "Profit!" would be literally correct), and then run around picking fights with a guaranteed strength of 20 (before dice) and steal the renown from your opponents developments.

Also, unless there's been a new ruling on how things work you can make things even more evil for your opponents. Get into fights. Play everyone for that sweet 20 strength. Win. Play Communication Device and take a Disciple. Use your card draw engine to get all your combat cards back. Get another 20 strength on the second round of battle too. Watch them lose all their gang members. Laugh maniacally and ask them if they would like to concede.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Wraith7153 wrote:
It actually isn't if you get your hands on a Communication Device.

For the record, they fixed Communication Device in the errata: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/city-of-remnants/c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.