Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I got the original game. I see on the description that the game differs for 10 cards from the original. The difference is only 10 extra cards or there are also some difference in the other 110?

Someone can describe the effect of the new 10 cards in the gameplay?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
- there is a sixth epedition card now, which is only in play with 5 players.

- expeditions now bring oen more VP each, but less money.

don't know which are the other 9 more cards, but there are no new cards, which weren't there before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a new kind of tax card, bringing 1 money to the player with the fewest victory points. And the rules has been changed, you no longer need to have an expedition for winning the game. Another change: 12 points are needed now instead of 10, according to the values of the new expeditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a short interview with the designer, Alexander Pfister, in the latest Speilbox magazine, where he comments on the main differences (below is an extract of the interview):

Quote:
The biggest changes are: The game can now be played by up to five players and there are more cards. Also, you do not necessarily need an expedition to win. As these have been upped in value, the pressure is still on to complete one. The reason for the change was that a round may drag a little when many expedition cards are concealed as money. Especially with five players there is a lot of money in circulation, so it is to be expected that only three or four expeditions will actually show up at some point. Now, while it may generally be a good thing that expeditions are scarce, this should not lead to frustration.

So to summarise what the differences appear to be:
- Port Royal supports 2-5 players; Händler der Karibik only supported 2-4;
- Port Royal has an extra expedition card, for use in 5-player games;
- Expedition cards now give more VPs but less gold;
- Port Royal has an additional type of Tax Increase card (so total 4 tax increase cards in the deck, 2 of each type);
- A Port Royal game ends when a player reaches 12 VPs; Händler der Karibik requires a player to have only 10 VPs but also at least one expedition in order to win;

Nowhere can I find a definitive list of the number of each type of card in Händler der Karibik, but adding up the new cards from above: 2 are the new tax cards, one is the extra expedition, leaving 7 "other" additional cards in Port Royal. I assume they are just extras of certain types of People cards to help balance a 5-player game, but exactly which, I don't know. If anyone has a breakdown of the Händler der Karibik card type counts, let us know on this thread. The Port Royal breakdown counts are shown in that game's rules which are in the Files section of the game here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
There's a short interview with the designer, Alexander Pfister, in the latest Speilbox magazine, where he comments on the main differences (below is an extract of the interview):

Quote:
The biggest changes are: The game can now be played by up to five players and there are more cards. Also, you do not necessarily need an expedition to win. As these have been upped in value, the pressure is still on to complete one. The reason for the change was that a round may drag a little when many expedition cards are concealed as money. Especially with five players there is a lot of money in circulation, so it is to be expected that only three or four expeditions will actually show up at some point. Now, while it may generally be a good thing that expeditions are scarce, this should not lead to frustration.

So to summarise what the differences appear to be:
- Port Royal supports 2-5 players; Händler der Karibik only supported 2-4;
- Port Royal has an extra expedition card, for use in 5-player games;
- Expedition cards now give more VPs but less gold;
- Port Royal has an additional type of Tax Increase card (so total 4 tax increase cards in the deck, 2 of each type);
- A Port Royal game ends when a player reaches 12 VPs; Händler der Karibik requires a player to have only 10 VPs but also at least one expedition in order to win;

Nowhere can I find a definitive list of the number of each type of card in Händler der Karibik, but adding up the new cards from above: 2 are the new tax cards, one is the extra expedition, leaving 7 "other" additional cards in Port Royal. I assume they are just extras of certain types of People cards to help balance a 5-player game, but exactly which, I don't know. If anyone has a breakdown of the Händler der Karibik card type counts, let us know on this thread. The Port Royal breakdown counts are shown in that game's rules which are in the Files section of the game here on BGG.

From the extract of the author I can't clearly understand if I have a beta game now (since I own HdK original version) or in the end I only miss the opportunity to play in 5...

For the card list I'm away for a work trip this week but I can provide one next sunday/monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elianto wrote:
From the extract of the author I can't clearly understand if I have a beta game now (since I own HdK original version) or in the end I only miss the opportunity to play in 5...

I think Port Royal is just a slightly streamlined version of HdK, for better potential international distribution. HdK is still a perfectly valid game in its own right; I wouldn't call it a 'beta' version.

Elianto wrote:
For the card list I'm away for a work trip this week but I can provide one next sunday/monday.

That'd be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For those who have played both, are there any changes you would take from Port Royal and apply to Haendler? Or just play Haendler as is without thinking about the Port Royal changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i would very much recommend it. The simple way to do it is this:

- You can win without Expedition, but you get 2 points penalty if you have no Expedition completed, (so you'll also need 12 points to end the game without an Expedition instead of 10.).

That's the way we played it even before PR was out. You can leave all cards as they are and you get pretty close to the new version in effect.

The other, more precise way would be to change the values on the Expedition cards (overwrite them, 4 VPs + 2 Gold for small, 6+3 for big Expeditons), and set the game end to 12 points (allowing no expedition ending).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.