Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've been trying to review all of the games i've been playing in hopes to eventually put my thoughts out there for the world. I have a couple of questions to ask:

A) Besides posting on BGG, what is the best way to put my reviews out there? Should I go on a blogging site and start a blog? How do I ensure that people actually will be reading it?

B) If I use pictures of my games, can I take them off the web or do I have to actually take the pictures? If I own the game, can I legally use the image of the book/componants in my reviews?

C) Obviously, to be up front, I would love it if I could someday get publishers to send me review copies of games so I can tell others what I think. What is the likelihood of this actually happening? I'm totally okay with not getting any free games but the idea has crossed my mind how cool it would be.

Thanks all

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tricky balance. If you start your own blog, you create an identity for people to follow, but it will be slow to gain readers. On the other hand, if you post it on BGG, a lot more people will see it, but you lose some of that sense of identity that carries weight.
It's not impossible, The Inquisitive Meeple seems to have found a way to do it.
Generally speaking, it's very hard to build up an audience and identity against the noise of so many other reviewers. What makes you stand out?
You're not likely to get free review copies unless you have accomplished all of that, so it's good you're interested in doing it just for the pleasure of it.

As for the details of putting a review together, on BGG you can basically use any picture posted to the game page, but always give credit. Elsewhere, you should ask the original photographers for permission. I don't believe there is a problem taking your own pictures of the game for your review, for 99.9% of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Johnson
msg tools
I don't really have advice. All I can say is...well, I've watched a lot of reviews and read blogs and listened to podcast and decided one day that if they can do it so can I. So I gave it a go. I started a twitter page (and proceeded to follow a buttload of game developers and publishers) in hopes of just pushing my brand.

So go for it. I have no idea what the rules are for reviewing or how current you have to be other than to just do what you want to do. And push your brand. I've got a local game shop that's helping push us locally with hopes of getting a podcast going soon.

And if nothing else, think of this. After a few days on twitter I have made a friends with a designer and a few podcasters. One of which looks like they will be getting publisher support soon. Which I hope they do. It's cool when one of us gets up. And I've even had a job offer (sorta) from a designer who liked my preview of his game. And that's only a few days in.

I hope you find these words encouraging. And if you get a chance, drop on by Roll To Sit (at rolltosit.com) and give it a read. And comment.

Good luck. And please give me your link when you start. I love the company and knowing that there is someone else out there just starting up like myself is extra encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you post your blog both here and on your own site, thus encouraging BGG readers to check out your own website. You should probably just make a Wordpress blog. Though get your own web hosting, don't use theirs or it'll be wordpress.mygamingblog.com. - not cool.

Youtube video reviews, especially how to play videos seem like a good way to get traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.