Subject: Beach Assault Maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Fulks
United States
Glen Ellyn
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have a couple of questions in relation to the clarification of rules in regards to elevation. In regards to elevation, the rulebook gives examples of combat at different elevations, but in both examples the attacker is the one on the higher terrain. They have no information on range or damage penalties for when the attacker is shooting from lower ground at a unit on higher ground. Does anyone know what the official (or otherwise generally accepted) rules are on this?

I would think they would get a penalty, especially when its an elevation difference of two. However the rules also state that cliffs provide no cover bonus. So these two situations lead me to believe that there are no penalties or bonuses that occur for attacking a unit on higher terrain, contrary to what logic would dictate.

My second question is in regards to the "Picking Up The Pieces" scenario. In this scenario, the Allies get a card allowing for one artillery strike per turn so long as an officer is not fatigued. Does:

1) Using this ability fatigue that officer
2) Constitute the use of an action

Finally, the rules state that infantry can use an action to get behind cover such as the sandbags. While that would obviously stand for squads once the game has started, are players allowed to deploy their forces already behind sandbags and the like.

I ask this due to the aforementioned note that cliffs do not provide cover (nor do infantry have any defense dice of their own) and if German forces are not allowed to deploy already inside the bunkers or behind the two sandbag locations on the cliff, that could be initially devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at the RCD file. Some, but not all, of your questions will be answer. I know the artillery question is answered in the RCD.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/55401/rules-clarificat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fulks
United States
Glen Ellyn
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tip, but it only answers the deployment question, not the two more pressing questions.

Yes, while it does have a question regarding Naval Bombardment, it does not go any farther than stating that the card can be used once per round and that it must be an non-fatigued officer. It does not state whether the officer using the card becomes fatigued nor if using the bombardment constitutes one of the two actions.

It also does not state if a unit attacking an enemy at a higher elevation receives any sort of penalty to range or damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking a unit at higher elevation incurs no penalties upon the attacking unit. Other than I don't believe you are allowed to assault up a cliff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions
the officer is not fatigued by the Naval bombardment
Naval bombardment counts as one of your actions in a given turn

attacking an enemy at higher level has no penalties and you cannot assault up an elevation
only in Stalingrad are assaults modified for levels, though we may change that as go through the rules

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.